Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

In fact it was a length of blanched green onion.

2. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I should have added that a great many veggies can be bundled this way.

I'm fond of bundling asparagus flat rather than upright and dressing it with breadcrumbs fried in oil.

The secret to this outstanding entrée is to use a "little" much oil to toast the breadcrumbs till golden. You should have sufficient oil to "dress" the asparagus.

I'll whip this up and post a pic.

3. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Since it's lunch time here...

I was aiming for a deluxe cup-a-soup, but I got carried away. Cup-a-soup became this chicken noodle dish.

Attached Files:

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That looks tasty!

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Everything does when you are hungry...I dropped $300+ the other day. $50 for dog stuff, $100 on other junk and the rest on goodies. I went there for dog food :( . I usually go after work and of course...I'm hungry, so everything looks good and recipes are instantly forming in my head so I add ingredients as I go... There goes the budget!

6. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I must admit that I'm like that too. I arrive with a specific shopping list and leave with dozens of extra items.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

all natural unprocessed and no preservatives added bacon is the only way to fly.

Canned foods contain astronomical amounts of BPA and are really really bad for you, as is sodium nitrate = *** cancer

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DietNutrition/29854

on a side note I just burned out the smoke oven, after a half a dozen ducks went through it, it really needed it. You'd be amazed how much soot and grease builds up in that thing when you run it on propane. Self clean is about 750°F for an hour or so.

8. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

It occurred to me that I torture you all with pics of meals I've cooked aboard but fail to provide the recipe in most cases...

Thai beef salad (serves 4).

What do you do with that one left over steak? This chilled Thai beef salad is the perfect brunch or entrée that requires a little preparation but no cooking.

Ingredients

500g rump steak, grilled to medium, chilled, sliced across the grain
    1 loose cup fresh mint leaves, torn
    1 loose cup fresh coriander leaves, torn
    1 punnet (250g) cherry tomatoes, halved
    1 cucumber, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
    1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
    4 loose cups, cos lettuce, shredded
    4 tablespoons crushed peanuts, to garnish

Dressing

3 tablespoons lime juice
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    1 teaspoon palm sugar, crumbled
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 stem lemon grass, finely sliced, thick white section only
    2 small red chillies, finely sliced

Preparation

Make up the dressing and then add beef, mint, coriander, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion and toss the mixture to combine.

Spoon one fourth of the dressed beef mixture onto a bed of 1 cup of cos lettuce. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of crushed peanuts on top to garnish.

Notes:

I must confide that I would normally cook and chill the beef for 20 minutes specifically for this meal, but the use of left-over meat from a previous meal is sensible and a great way to avoiding cooking with heat in an already hot cabin during an Australian summer cruise.

Raw sugar can be substituted for palm sugar. Do make the effort to find palm sugar. I have found palm sugar sold in a long life blister pack of portion controlled quantities of 12 x 21 grams which is near enough to 12 tablespoons.

Thin slices of cucumber are easily made with a peeler, rather than a knife.

Enjoy

Attached Files:

9. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Thanks James.

10. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

thanks James

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya know I was just getting hungry for something. Might have to try that one

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That does sound good, James. A few months ago I bought some organic mint with the roots attached, to make mint juleps. I planted the surviving bits in the back yard, under a bush to keep it out of the direct sun (this is southern California), and it's threatening to take over the entire neighborhood. I've never seen a few twigs of something take hold and go wild like that before.

Now I have something besides juleps or lamb chops to use all that mint on....

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Just to keep the thread alive, let's pretend I cooked this on the beach.:D

ONION AND POTATO SOUP, WITH BACON AND CHEESE

3/4 lb thick-sliced bacon, your favorite flavor

3 good-sized yellow onions

4 garlic cloves

3 small to medium russet potatoes

2 tsp bacon grease, reserved from bacon

2 tsp butter

Chicken stock, 15 1/2 oz can

2 beef bouillon cubes

About 2 cups of your favorite shredded cheese

1 slice of toasted garlic bread for each bowl

Cook the bacon until well browned and just starting to get crisp, then chop it coarsely. Reserve 2 teaspoons of the grease, and add 2 teaspoons of butter to it.

Halve the onions from the root end, and thin-slice across. Cook them in the bacon grease/butter until they start browning, then turn heat down and finish browning them. After the onions, are well-started, mince the 4 cloves of garlic and add to the onions.

Dissolve the 2 beef bouillon cubes in 2 cups of hot water. When the onions are well-browned and caramelizing, pour in the bouillon and chicken stock, add the diced potatoes, and simmer covered for about 4 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add more hot water for a thinner soup.

Remove from heat. Add the bacon and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Return to low heat, and stir until cheese is melted and soup is hot, but not boiling.

Place a piece of toast in each bowl, and ladle soup over it. Sprinkle generously with the remaining shredded cheese, and run bowls under a broiler until the cheese starts bubbling (or use a propane torch). Enjoy....

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Bacon, Grease, cheese ---Gulp--my heart just clogged up.

Got a light tossed salad? A carrot perhaps.

15. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Fresh fish chowder.
    Take any good potatoe soup recipe, like Troy just posted. Fillet your fish being extra carefull there are no bones. Add the fillets to the soup once soup is completely cooked, because the fish only needs 15 minutes. Voila!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.