Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I must be culturally deprived; I'd never heard of apple brie soup.

But one of my favorite breakfasts is a piece of hot apple pie with a slice of cheese melted on top, along with a cup of scalding-hot black coffee. So I'm willing to bet I'd like the soup.

I looked up a couple of recipes, and I'll try it next week when I get home.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

My favorite breakfast is quesadillas made with fresh corn tortillas and philadelphia cream cheeze, dark roast coffee (creamed and sugared), cranberry juice, fresh cantaloupe, and a sectioned ruby red greatfruit.
    That jumpstarts my heart! Vrooom!

3. Yobarnacle

Another breakfast is too rich to serve everyday. It's Polish. At the time of Napolean, there were close ties between Poland and France. French cuisine had an impact on polish cooking. This is an example!

Nala Shniki

Whip 6 eggs, add 1 teaspoon flour. on hot griddle make into paper thin crepes.

Roll crepes around crushed pineapple cream cheeze mixture.

arrange several filled crepes on each plate. Dust with powdered sugar and top with fresh cut strawberries and sour cream.

Ever experienced a tongue ******? Try this!

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I mix up that third animal protein ingredient, this time around its some buffalo trimmings I had laying around, last time it was livers and hearts. I think it was tong before that.

should work if I keep mixing it up like that.

5. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Thanks for the complement. I do work hard on plate presentation. At home I have a lot of counter-top space, useful when plating up.

On my boat (under construction as of last weekend), things will be quite challenging.

The pics of my cooking aboard have been taken on a friends trailer-sailer. I roll out a sheet of butchers paper on the cabin roof and place the finished dish in the centre. Using camera angles etc, I can avoid a messy pic that includes lines, companionway hatch, mast tabernacle and other distractions.

6. Yobarnacle

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Australian cuisine has to be admired particularly the ring pull can for convenience foods like baked beans to be eaten cold with a tea spoon, with a packet of smokey bacon crisps this is surely food for the Gods and Aborigines.

Cold food certainly has its merits on the boat,--spam for instance. sliced thin and lightly fried is as close you will get to a bacon sandwich at sea.

8. Yobarnacle

Canned goods have their place in the pantry. For a bacon substitute, I prefer chicharron (pork skins), but real canned danish bacon is sold in supermarkets in US. In canned ham department.

9. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I have given some thought to solar powered cooking. A potential marina birth neighbour, at the Anchorage (Williamstown) where I intend to keep my boat, has tried a few products, without much luck overall.

He claims that solar ovens work great, but just not very well on a boat. He suggests that the large conical shape is difficult to manage on deck and remains an obstacle for all aboard during cooking.

This guy and his wife own a 12 metre former Sydney-Hobart race winner, So I image I'll have more trouble managing a rather large silver cone on the fore deck of a 7.5 metre yacht.

The wife also claims that temperature is also variable and cannot be controlled. The cone acts like a sail and they have had meals spill when the cone catches a gust.

I have visions of meal, pot, and cone going over the side for another reason. I just know I'm going to forget about whats cooking out front, come about, and see my self tacking jib sweep the foredeck.

The matter of appliances etc is a very worthwhile discussion. As you know, I'm a keen foodie with plans to produce a "cooking aboard" cookbook for long weekend cruises as a first book.

I've assumed that my readers will have at least a 2 burner alcohol hob or better, a transom mounted hooded BBQ with plate or grill or both (poor mans oven), and an ice chest or refrigerated space of not less than 50 litres.

With these basic appliances, The meals I have prepared and shared here are all within the realm of possibility.

10. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I must admit I'm a bit of a food snob. If it's a meal or meal base that came in a can, jar, packet or sachet, it has no place in my kitchen.

I've changed my attitude somewhat.

Planning a long weekend menu aboard with limitations on refrigerated and frozen food storage, requires me to think carefully about the nature of the basic ingredients I will be using to create meals.

For example, I still refuse to use a pasta sauce in a jar, but aboard I'll happily use a tin of italian roma tomatoes rather than fresh to fast-track the creation of a napoli sauce.

One of my first tasks is to compile a list of quality long life products that don't require refrigeration that can become the basis of fast-tracked gourmet cuisine.

One must have priorities. Chill the wine and to hell with the groceries, I say!

11. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  12. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Grilled chicken sandwich anyone?

I'm wicked!

Whipping up these for brunch at a secluded anchorage shared with other yachts, will make you the envy of them all. The aromas emanating from your BBQ will attract attention.

Attached Files:

13. Yobarnacle

LMAO at the video. Double entendre thru and thru. Witty, and very naughty!. Good looking babe, too.
    She's "gonna squirt and then sit in it" had my wife rolling on the floor, holding her sides, complaining couldn't get her breath!

14. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

While I didn't cook this particular dish aboard, I thought I'd share the interesting plate presentation of otherwise boring veggies.

Attached Files:

15. Yobarnacle

What did you tie the veggies with? A strip of roasted seaweed like used for sushi?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.