Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Both recipes sound delicious but especially this one. I'd serve it with apple brie soup (seasoned with rosemary). and a cobb salad

2. yipster

yipster designer

making wodka is easy but probably illigal yet methylated spirits do smell :mad:

handy thing of this burner it can be moved out without a fuel line and has a factory place inside

[​IMG]
    i see a solution here http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/62512-alcohol-stove-smells.html but with such cuisine
    as discussed here and without burning the house down, any other spirit fuel recepy's guy's?

have this toastburner below on my list but wonder, anybody try'd eating toast from a methylated spirits burner?

Attached Files:

3. Yobarnacle

those toasters work well, even on campfire coals. just have to watch and turn the bread. only toasts inside

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Here's a recipe for brisket hash you can spice to your tastes. http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=1&productId=347763

5. Yobarnacle

Thanks Hoyt, but wasn't what i was looking for. Looking for the 50's era hash-house hash. They'd have a big pot on back burner in about every diner. Boiles, not fried, though it had such a high amount of fat from the brisket, maybe stewed in grease is more accurate. It was pretty much pure meat, but I think there was a bit of onion flavor. None visible. It was wet and gloppy and spicy, and servings were generous cause weren't any cheaper cut of meat than brisket back then.
    Use to meet my dad for lunch sometimes if there wasn't school that day. We'd have hash with 2 sides at the corner diner. Usually sides were beans and greens. Miss my dad.

6. hoytedow

Ditto. Miss my dad too.

7. Yobarnacle

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I even make my own dog food, it ends up cheaper than most types of food I could buy for him.

chicken thighs, day old hamburger, diced buffalo trimmings ( from stuff I cook for myself anyway ) rice and mixed vegetables.

I make a big huge pot of the stuff and freeze it in bowels that last about three days each. Ten at a time. I think it costs me about 0.65 cents a day at most and the dig eats like a king.

9. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Thanks for the link, it was most informative and surprisingly quite similar to a recipe of my own design. I don't use rosemary, use more leek but no onion and use vegetable rather than chicken stock. Your praise of this soup is sound and just.

Personally I would offer sweet potato and pear soup as an entrée to this dish and a soft rind cheese (King Island brie or camembert) with fruit (dates and figs in particular) as a desert. Naturally a Robert Channon Wines Pinot Gris 2011, Granite Belt, Queensland, could not be outdone as a companion to this feast.

10. Yobarnacle

I know you now James! Tempter! I'm gonna have to spend many hours on my knees thanks to you!

:D

11. hoytedow

Make sure he gets his minerals, calcium etc.

I knew of a family kept an owl but did not feed it properly to the point it lost minerals in its bones and lost the ability to fly.

12. Yobarnacle

Minerals are even MORE important for people. Wife and I take colloidal mineral suplements every day. We're disgustingly healthy! Act like teenagers

13. hoytedow

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Sounds like what I do with pork cushion meat; I turn it into shredded pork. I'm working on finishing off a pot of it right now...

Depending on how long I want to cook it, I trim most of the fat off a 2 or 3 lb chunk, sear it first if I'm ambitious, and throw it in my Crock Pot whole, or dice it into 2" cubes first. I add a whole onion always, along with half a cup of some kind of liquid (water, beer, chicken stock, whatever), and anything else that crosses my mind. Then I just let it simmer for hours. When it starts falling apart, I finish the job with a couple of forks

This particular batch had garlic, chile negro dried peppers, and Mexican oregano -- along with about 1/3d cup of chile verde salsa, and the juice from half a good-sized lemon.

I've been eating it over rice that I cooked with chicken bouillon. When the rice was done I added chopped cilantro, along with some juice from the other half of the lemon. And of course I got into the rest of the salsa too....

I've never used a chunk of brisket, but I imagine it would work just fine. I don't think it would need much more than onion, a little garlic and some salt -- and a lot of black pepper added towards the end of cooking, if you like it peppery. Don't add it too soon, or you'll be left with the heat but not the flavor.

Or you could just season it with your favorite BBQ dry rub....

15. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Good photos James. Delicious.
    The plating is so important and something I never take time to work on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.