Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Community > Open Discussion: All Things Boats & Boating
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 AM

Rep: 759 Posts: 705
with mint jelly? or chutney?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:51 AM

you can easily make a very hot lamp-oil burner. Uses cheap sweet smelling lamp oils, like used for liquid candles.
Next time you open can of tuna, save tin and lid. Obviously wash them. make a donut of glass wool to fit inside tuna can. Drill a hole in center of lid. Insert donut in tin. pour a few spoonfulls of lamp oil on fibers to saturate. press lid down in can, but not compressing glass wool. to light put in a spoon of alcohol, and light with long splinter or BBQ bic lighter. By time alcohol burns off, oil will be burning. much hotter and slower. To add more oil, just ladle some on top recessed lid when stove is cool. It will seep around cut outer edge of lid and thru center hole to recharge glass wool.
To extinquish, smother by covering tuna can. Pot bottom works. This tuna tin burner needs to go inside a support, so skillet or pot is raised above flames and not smothering them.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:04 AM

Rep: 1251 Posts: 1,686
Location: The heights of High Wycombe, not too far from River Thames
Yobarnacle,

"Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either." Mark Twain.

"The liberation of the human mind has never been furthered by dunderheads; it has been furthered by gay fellows who heaved dead cats into sanctuaries and then went roistering down the highways of the world, proving to all men that doubt, after all, was safe -- that the god in the sanctuary was finite in his power and hence a fraud." Henry Louis Mencken.

"The liberty of man consists solely in this: that he obeys natural laws because he has himself recognized them as such, and not because they have been externally imposed upon him by any extrinsic will whatever, divine or human, collective or individual." Mikhail Bakunin.

"You are free to do whatever you want in this world, just so long as you are prepared to accept the full consequences of your actions; there is no freedom without responsibility." My words of guidance to my children.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 AM

THANKS PERICLES
wisdom words. My recounting the story of Christmas was to re-assure folks the Christmass shopping fair that exists isn't blasphemus. If the date of Jesus birth was important, God would have told us. It's his death and ressurection that saves us.
I was being irreverent, but not serious. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 AM

Rep: 191 Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobarnacle View Post
with mint jelly? or chutney?
Actually, wrong answer to both A and B.

The shanks were braised in stock and a bouquet garni for almost 4 hours. The shanks were then removed and the remaining stock was strained and reduced.

Red current jelly and muscat were added to the reduction and further simmered to create a thick sauce. A nob of butter was added to give a little shine and ladled over the shanks when plated up.

An altogether delightful meal served with a young and thus mildly peppered pinot noir.

I'll set aside the consumption of wine at 7:15am local time in the name of science.

Though, these efforts have had a purpose, this experiment has proven that I have my work cut out for me in trying to create complex meals aboard a small boat.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:03 AM

When i get my motorsailor finished, and anytime you're in florida, feel free to come cook for us!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 AM

Rep: 191 Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobarnacle View Post
When i get my motorsailor finished, and anytime you're in florida, feel free to come cook for us!
Funny you should ask as I plan to shoot one season (13 episodes) of James cooks aboard (inset name of boat here).

With my first born due to arrive in mid-march I doubt I can travel much further than my aircraft or boat (as soon as it's built), will take me for an absence of a day or two at a time, for the time being.

But non-the-less it would be my great delight.

I have visited Florida many years ago, particularly interested in aviation and Chalk's Ocean Airways and their fleet of old Grumman aircraft and I would be pleased to visit again. A great shame the airline fell on hard times and failed to maintain their fleet of aircraft.

As for my cooking.. Would you settle for a bunch of on-line videos or a cook book?

Martha Stuart.. Step aside, your blocking my light!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 AM

I'm happy with your posts. My invitation was intended as a compliment. Of course, if you DID visit florida, a real open date invitation to spend a day with us is extended. Probably my wife would cook. Florida seafood prepared with a spanish/italian/mexican flair. She's all that and more.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 AM

should have said castillian,italian,mexican
Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 AM

Chicharron=pork skins
Refrigerater full? Chicharron is a meat product that needs no refrigeration. Seems incredible, but all the packages say 0% fat.
Its a tasty snack plain or with dips. Does contain protein which potato chips do not. I use it as a bacon substitute. Just warm in microwave 11 seconds. Good on bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwiches. Good with eggs or pan cakes. Also makes good tacos. Either make your own sauce or use picante sauce from store. Heat sauce in pot. Stir in chicharron. When they're tender, use to fill lightly toasted tortillas. Dress tacos with chopped raw onion and chopped fresh cilantro.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Seņor Junior Member

Rep: 2340 Posts: 4,652
Me gusta chicharrones picante.

There is a Melbourne, Florida, near Cape Canaveral. A long way from your Melbourne.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 AM

si. yo tambien
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Previous Member

Ate a heart attach for dinner last night.

One whole package of bacon, egg noodles, chili oil, sea salt, cracked pepper, butter, olive oil.

Oh well, hard bodies begin with hard arteries

big pot luck on Wednesday, might try a beer basted whole duck, not sure yet but if so I gotta buy it today so it can thaw out in time.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Obsessed Member

Rep: 1579 Posts: 2,138
Tangy Talapia (or any other light colored fish filet)

Filets
Parchment paper
lemon juice
butter
Worcestershire sauce (thank you auto correct!)
white cooking wine
Pomegranate infused red wine vinegar (Pompeian)
thyme and a bit of cardamom
sun dried tomatoes in olive oil and italian spices (comes in a bottle-Bella Sun Luci)

Put fish on parchment paper
sprinkle thyme and a real light dusting of Cardamom
small daub of butter
splash of each of the liquids
couple-three-five chunks of tomato on each filet
bake at 350 f for 11-13 minutes or until done (depends on how thick the filets are)
pour the juice over the fillets when you serve
Serve with plain or flavored rice and some steamed stirfry veggies.

tastes just as good nuked too.

Lewisboatworks
http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks

Last edited by lewisboats : 12-19-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Adding details

Old 12-19-2011, 06:36 PM

worcestershire sauce, pronounced What's-this-here sauce