Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I had a London Christmas dinner yesterday. I was amazed at hoe dissimilar it was to the one I am used to in the North of England.

WE have Turkey stuffing mashed potato , mashed turnip , apple sauce, yorkshire pudding, brussel sprouts, carrots, ginger wine.

London was Turkey, stuffing, brussels, baked onion, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, sausage wrapped in bacon, cranberry sauce, champagne.

Just as shirt filling but different.

Both have pudding and custard followed by crackers and blue Stilton,---hic!

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I think he's trying to pick one interesting cuisine from each continent or area, rather than trying to represent all of the different types...

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Don't forget baked beans, crab cakes and lobster.....

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Much of American cooking is coastal ...seafood.

Blue Crabs and soft shell clams are found in many places around the world but they never taste as good as American prepared.

5. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

My most recent galley effort.

Ingredients (Serves 2 as brunch or entrée):

Butter or oil for cooking
    1 1kg bag of muscles
    1 400ml can coconut milk
    1 large brown onion, chopped
    1 long red chilli, chopped
    1 thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
    3 tsp ground turmeric
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 coriander root, chopped
    1 lime, juice only
    Coriander leaf and crusty bread to garnish

Method:

If not already cleaned, remove beard and growth from muscles. Discard open or broken muscles.

Put a pan (with lid), onto a high heat and when hot, add muscles and seal with lid. Shake from time to time to ensure muscles are exposed to heat evenly.

Remove cooked open muscles, discarding unopened muscles and set aside in foil or tea towel to keep warm.

Reduce heat, add butter or oil and onion to pan. Sauté onion till translucent then add garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander root and turmeric and sauté for a further few minutes.

Add coconut milk and lime juice. Stir to combine and heat, but not boil.

Ladle broth into bowls through a sieve and arrange muscles on top. Garnish with coriander leaves and chilli and serve with crusty bread to mop up the broth.

Attached Files:

6. michael pierzga

Cool...Im a mussel man.

Ive got big bulging mussels, drives the girls crazy...must be the white wine and garlic.

Give mussels in red wine and capers a try.

Not bad, not bad at all.........

7. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I agree, true mexican cooking is a whole lot more than taco's and burrito's. A class of cooking all it's own.

You're quite right. Cantonese and Sezchuan cuisine do have a worthy place.

Preparation time and the availability of authentic ingredients without having to substitute too many of them are at the forefront of my mind. If I can't easily get Sezchuan peppercorn or various types of bean curd in multicultural Melbourne, what hope do any of us have?

Hungarian cooking owes it's origins to the Mongol hordes sweeping across europe like locusts and leaving behind cooking methods. Mongol cuisine is not well suited for cooking aboard as cooking times are generally very protracted with the exception of Mongolian BBQ.

Italian cuisine, I have deliberately avoided. It is common, very well understood, and is one of two go-to meals for people in foreign places with language barriers. Unfortunately Italian food is a runner up to McDonalds. Very depressing.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The above is fortunately only your opinion.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You have never eaten food from here or you would not be saying that.: http://www.marchianosbakery.com/menu.html

Of course I have it on good authority that the Italians who came here brought all the best recipes out of the old country with them. :D

10. michael pierzga

Its not Italian cuisine that is the problem, its the way its marketed,

Tourist grub.

Pasta and Pizza for the bare chested ,tattoo covered , package holiday crowd.

If I see ITALIAN FOOD on a cafe sign, in any country other than Italy, I move on.

11. hoytedow

Marchiano's Bakery should be the exception to your rule. Not for nothin'. Just sayin'.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Talking of Spain--- do they have anything special in the food line of things.

Ive been made very ill after eating the 2 Paellas in my life. Ille not eat another.

Slopping together rotten sea food for the bare chested or not is not cricket olde chap.

And Sangria with a traditional tea towel round it or not is nothing more than vinigar and rotten wine. The towel is to hide the crap within.

Without Mc Donalds one could not travel Spain in the tourist areas for rip off poisonous crap.

Even up market restaurants had me sick with mussels in garlic.

The place needs banckruptcy.

Sorry but thats how I see it. The bare chested are not wanting to looking for British pie shops but are trying to stay alive.

Spain is as culinary mature as the bull fights .

13. michael pierzga

Aioli aint bad , it contains no eggs, so it can't go bad in the heat and turn tourist green.

http://[​IMG]

■4 large cloves garlic, peeled
    ■1 teaspoon sea salt
    ■1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    ■Juice of 1/4 lemon

With a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic and salt until you have a fine paste.

Transfer garlic to a nonreactive bowl.
    Slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of the oil, whisking constantly to form an emulsion. Whisk in lemon juice, then slowly drizzle in remaining oil, whisking constantly.

Nothing wrong with Gazpacho, skin the tomatoes first.

http://javirecetas.hola.com/gazpacho-receta-de-gazpacho-andaluz/

http://[​IMG]

14. hoytedow

We had mojo(de ajo), something very similar to aioli, as a garnish on our tostones along with the lechón on Christmas.

15. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

It's odd that you would pass on Italian food, though I do understand your explanation.

In all of my travels and the many places I have been, Italian food seems to be one of the most reliable and trustworthy.

As per my earlier post, order a lasagne, just like a big mac, and you know exactly what you're going to get.

Even having traveled Italy, I noted one thing in particular. The traditional cooking that arrived here in Melbourne with immigrants, is a snap-shot of culinary history. While Italians have moved on and their cuisine has adapted with decades of change, in Melbourne, one can still find a dish with it's origins firmly rooted in the 1950's.

In my experience, there is very little localisation of Italian cuisine, unlike Chinese for example, where dishes are nothing like the real thing, and made to humour local ingredient/flavour prejudices.

Our localised version of sweet and sour pork using pineapple and tomato sauce of all things, is nothing like an authentic dish you might find in Canton, and a good example of localisation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.