Cigarette's AMG Electric Power boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kitto, Jul 27, 2015.

1. kitto

kitto Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone out there knows much about this project? I am curious as to what this boat is using for the stern drives/Z Drives? I am guessing any drive unit can be used for this alternative power source? Any extra info would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Kit

1 person likes this.
  2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

WOW. Didn't know Cigarette was looking at that. Surprised that they are using outdrives as the power loss with outdrives that isn't noticed with big powerful gas engines might be a factor with electric.

Way cool, this will get me looking around and asking some questions.

:cool:

3. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

This boat has a massive amount of power:

12 compact liquid-cooled permanent-magnet synchronous electric motors
    2,200 hp
    2,208 ft lb of torque
    Each of the two 6-motor clusters weighs 600 lbs

batteries
    400-volt
    2,400 kilowatts
    4,840 lbs

It goes over 100 mph. The only thing compromised compared to the gas version of this boat is run time. Full throttle takes 2.4 megawatts, it can go full throttle for 10 minutes. I'm getting older and that would be enough for me for an afternoon joy ride :D

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

I looked around the Cigarette website and wow, there is a ____ load of plumbing in that engine space. Way cool, hybrids are coming, looks like pretty fast too, but only for 10 minutes!

:cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.