Cheap!!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Jul 18, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Marshmat - shiny always costs more, don't matter how you get the shine! If it looks shiny it costs!

2. safewalrus

Frosty I do believe it's true you DO look like Errol Flynn - how longs he been dead? :p

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cheap

It's a point I've made before in earlier threads dealing with 'economic' boat building. Bottle-screws, shackles, chain, and many other 'galavanised' fittings always seem to prove 50 - 75 percent 'cheaper' - yet give as good a service. And if you want 'shiney' - a lick of paint serves as well.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Stainless steel was invented in the 4o's I think. It was invented for making stainless steel sinks. Its not much good for anything else.

I laugh at these people with st/st anchor chains.

Oh its pretty good for hand rails and ---errrm.

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cheap

Why laugh Frosty. It makes their anchors sink doesn't it ?

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

That is not as bad as a polished stainless anchor. I prefer an anchor that is ugly. Looks more workmanlike.

Tim

7. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I prefer an anchor that is ugly. Looks more workmanlike

And your women?

Poida

8. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

As for women, I like mine good looking. You got to be willing to "go to work".

:)

Tim

9. artemis

artemis Steamboater

:p :D :) Actually it was invented in 1912 by Harry Brearley of Sheffield, England. It was first used in knives. 'Course, you wouldn't have known that, "snowball", as you were still using stone knives. The reason you've confused it with stainless steel sinks is was that you first encountered it as a flush toilet and, because it had running water, you thought it was a sink. :) :D :p

10. safewalrus

Can't understand all this about stainless steel sinks - of course it does! so does every other kind of steel! Its made out of stone isn't it! Ok you gotta get it kinda hot to work it but it's still stone!

So Atermis looks like you were right when you said 'Snowy' used stone knives! I'm surprised he knows what a knife is for?

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dont you just admire these people that google something then come back at you will ALL the information dates etc like they some F$%^ professor.

They are so cool when they start the post ---Actually---

Sheffield is in Yorkshire.

12. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I wouldn't like a stainless steel boat if it sinks.

Poida

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Stainless steel stinks,-- it is the most usless material.

For some reason it is glorified as a magnificent wonder steel that will not rust,(staved of oxygen it rust like normal steel) it cracks and does all kinds of silly things that you dont want on a boat. It cost around 30% more to make (thats all) simply because of its Chromium content.

Ok Artemis google up !!!!!! Lets hear it.

14. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

But it's pretty ! ! !

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

well I can honestly say I never googles and pasted here BUT I will say there is SS and SS, like that Avesta high ten 2025??> I am getting old, made all my stocks and shafts with it,and you can reduce dia. no end and now cant remember, but its excellent in warm salt water which normally stuff SS, which yes is generally highly overated , like the ss screws in my noodle are rusting, and thats the only reason I cant use cad, frosty you useless ******* wheres my rep points> you gave me so many neg ones I spose you can' t undo it yet?:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.