Captain, owner charged in ferry accident

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Feb 5, 2007.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Is there another similar story about a ferry going down in the St. Lawerence seaway last year? I'm confused.

Captain, owner charged in ferry accident
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070205...onHBmys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OTB1amhuBHNlYwNtdHM-

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Yeah we 'slaughtered' that one last year! bit of disgrace as they were all apparantly 'oldies' (what older than me?)

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

George,

I don't recall any incident on the St Lawrence involving a ferry last year.

Too bad the captain is being charged. The news media will, as it did in the story you cited, focus on that relatively minor violation (not sure what another crew member would have done, except add to the load and make the boat more unstable!), and skim over the reduction in stability, which they don't understand.

The addition of a canopy structure obviously added "high" weight, which always reduces stability. I remember reading in Sebastian Junger's "The Perfect Storm" how the owner modified the vessel by adding to the superstructure, then decided not to conduct new stability tests. No one will ever know if the modification was a proximate cause of the boat's sinking in a massive storm, but it is known that crew reported her significantly slower to recover from a roll after the mods.

Cheers,

Charlie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.