A Call to ARMS!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Jul 12, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Fellow Members,

It seems as though the forum traffic dies out in the evening in Canada & the U.S..

It also seems most of our active members are from OZ or the UK.

No problem with that as most are fine people, though I'm not sure about a certain large, ungainly, & reputed to be funny smelling marine mammal. :rolleyes:

Lets pass the word to our boat loving friends so we have more N. American ideas on the site.

Maybe to much heartland has decreased our potential for alot of nautically obsessed citizens.

I should have put this on the drivel thread.

Take care.

Tim

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The boating season for us Canucks is a bit strange. Hardy folk, those with metal hulls, and jet-skiers usually run early April to end of January. Sane folk with normal boats are more or less restricted to May-October. Whenever our boats are in season, we're out on the water. When they're not, we're out in the snow and ice with skis/skates. Hanging around the computer is perhaps not the preferred activity after spending eight hours in front of one at work.
    (Being Canadian I'm allowed to stereotype my own country, right? ;) )
    But seriously, though, why relatively few Canucks and Yanks actively participating on here? Plenty of us N.Am folks show up, ask if a piece of junk 1976 Glastron is worth three years of complete rebuilding, then leave. Few stick around to chat like the Aussies and Brits do.
    Any cultural anthropologists here care to comment? (I don't feel like writing a psych paper just now....)

3. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Those who can, do. Those who can't, write about it. :D

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

A call to arms

I can understand your concern Tim old friend, but bear in mind - Australia, compared to the USA, is a young country - energetic, enthusiastic, effervescent. The UK on the other hand...well Tim, a faded old lady living on past glories...eager for 'intercourse' with anyone - even 'odd-balls' like Frosty.... :D

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Arr Tim me Lad yer problem was you askt fro NorthAmerican Ideas! Tain't possible that is it? I mean a Norf American wot can think usually moves and becomes either an Aussie or a Brit (and occasionally a smelly aquatic animal of dubious girth and size but luckily there ain't to may of those - best send a few maidens to assist with the populating - luckily I ain't a 'muslin' as the 'Snowman' calls 'em, cos apart from the fact I'm not very good at crashing airplanes (apparantly it hurtz) knowing my luck my reward would be a 72 year old virgin!!

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I thought you "were" a 72 year old virgin Walrus. :D

Tim

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Now thats "vergin' " on the rediculous Tim

8. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Pretty witty thar Buddy.

Tim

9. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Getting to CanDo

Those of us who can't do but really want to AND aren't afraid to not know stuff, ASK HERE. Then we figure stuff out and do it.

After a while, we know some stuff and want to help other people out like we were helped. So sometimes we write about it.

I owe bigtime for the stuff people helped me learn. Most of it was when I was too young to realize that they were going out of their way for some kid. And the biggest, smartest, busiest people seemed to be the ones who took the time to encourage other people, especially young people. OK, I'll namedrop ones you might have heard of.. Pete Seeger, Isaac Asimov, AC Gilbert. And my Father, Fred King.

I can never pay these people (and 100 more), (or you guys), back. All I can do is try to pay it forward, especially to some young kid who doesn't know what the hell he's doing...

1 person likes this.
  10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You're really at home on that new 'drivel thread', eh Walrus? ;) :D
    Inspiring words, Terry :)
    Now how about some more Canadians 'round these parts? Oh, right, the weather's nice for a change and we're all out at the lake!

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

A call to arms

Worthy sentiments Terry. But you make Tim's point - none of the above have posted on the forum recently...:)

12. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Timgoz my good friend, people are different. If God created this world then he is racist, because he created the races.

There is nothing wrong with Americans the fact that they can't interact with the rest of the world (such as contribute to this forum) is not their fault.

Take for example in the school yard, if there is a child that can't socially interact with the rest of the children, they are more likely to become a school bully.

So Timgoz, don't feel bad about the lack of North American contributors it's not their fault.

We are privlidged that you contribute and as such are probably an outstanding American and worthy of migrating to Australia and joining God's chosen children or England and join God's neglected children or where Frosty is, gotta be God's discarded children.

Poida

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

A call to arms

Poida - that was a brilliant summing up. I tried to give you a bundle of points for erudition...but the stupid computer told me I had to "Spread some reputation around before giving points to Poida..." (Jeff - this is a constant message...what does it mean ?")
    But Poida - I really did enjoy your note. And Tim - you can take heart from its sentiments. The rest of us enjoy your contributions, in fact I'm writing to our PM (Howard somebody - or is it somebody Howard...never quite sure...) to have you replace the current American Ambassador in Canberra.

14. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I sorta like my continent, at least what I have seen of it. Don't like my goverment much of the time, but love my country & people. Canada is totally awesome also, from Labrador & Newfoundland to B.C.

That said I would like to get to Oz & down a Fosters' or two (3,4,5,6......). :)

The South Is. of NZ, especially the fiords and trout lakes, is on my list also.

To bloody hot for me where Frosty is. I sweat at anything over 70'F.

Tim

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

A call to arms

No, no, no Tim. When you come to Australia you must try the beer...:p
    (Foster's for gawd's sake...He'll be drinking something pink and fizzy with cherry in it next....:mad: )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.