? Cabinet making for yachts ?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bmarley5780, Mar 15, 2007.

1. bmarley5780

bmarley5780 New Member

Hello,

I am wanting to get a job within a yacht factory here in town. It would be for carpentry and cabinets.

The thing is I have no work experiance in the field. But I pick things up very quickly. Have done many DIY projects that deal with some degree of carpentry but not on boats... built many decks, laminate flooring, wainscotting, chair railing(mitered), crown molding (mitered), built bars for "The Mans Room". I just like building stuff....

The guy said that there would be a skill test before a interview would even take place....Anyone know about whats on something like this...
    The factory is in NC, I dont know if it would be ok to post the companies name. What is a avg base of pay for this kinda work?

I am currently burtout at my current desk job, Im getting fat...LOL

What are your thoughts/comments?

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

go for it,,,,,,,, longliner

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

You heard the man - money isn't the issue here, if it is stay at your desk, get fat, die of heart disease or something similar! Stay bored

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

by the way my boat hull was built by cabinet makers....look at longliner45...an see

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

but not out of 'cabinets' eh Longliner?

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Like longliner and walrus said, go for it.

The fact that there will be a skills test means (I think) that they are interested in what you can do, rather than where you worked before, so you'll have an even playing field. Worst thing that can happen is your skill level isn't up to what they need......yet. In that case, you can improve your skills, either by working somewhere else or by taking cabinetmaking courses, and apply again.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.