Bulky shipment for a 30 ft boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Cacciatore, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Naval Architect and Marine Engineer

Hi Guys , i want to dispatch a 30 ft boat to Australia (beam 10ft )
    Could someone give me an advice regarding this shipping service ? Suggest a company ?

Thank you in advance for the support.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you can get get it into an extra tall container, you'll save a considerable amount of deck freight. If it's truely 10' beam, you might be able to cant it (nearly 90 degrees) and slip it in. Of course a serious cradle to hold it in this position, but this would be standard fare for this type of transport. If she's just to big to wiggle into a container, you're stuck with deck freight. As to companies, well there are lots of them and many servicing your country. Bring your purse.

3. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Naval Architect and Marine Engineer

Thank you PAR for reply . I have seen that this value is for customizable container ( residential use or similar ) do you think that needs to pass csc inspection to be shipped on a containership?

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

If the boat doesn't fit inside a container - Google: ‘‘ flat rack container boat shipping ’’

---> use also Google Images for a quick result . . . :idea:

Only the corners of the flat rack container have to be left free to have it shipped on top of the ordinary containers.​

Good Luck !​

1 person likes this.
  6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You should prepare a bed to support the ship and probably use, as Angelique says, a container of so-called "flat rack".
    There are shipping companies, such as ZIM or CMA CGM, which do so normally.
    There are also companies specialized in carrying any type of object to any part of the world, for example "Challenge International", with delegation in Milan.
    Contact them, who will be sure to solve the problem.

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I shipped my yacht on a Maersk flat rack container, no hassle whatsoever. They cost more than your standard 40' container but hey ho, it's cheap, faster and safer than employing a delivery crew.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.