Boat (in a container) transport Europe <-> USA?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Mohan Pakkurti, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Mohan Pakkurti

Mohan Pakkurti Junior Member

Hi!

I am trying to find the cost of transporting a boat between USA and Europe, eventually to Sweden. The boat's displacement is 5800lbs and will fit in a 20ft container. Any ideas how much it could cost to transport?

And by the way, how gently are the containers handled? If the container contains a boat, will the transport companies treat it just as gently as they do a container of bananas?! :)

Thanks

Mohan

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Just call a steamship company about rates.

The answer is too complicated otherwise - like asking how much an airplane ticket costs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mohan Pakkurti

Mohan Pakkurti Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks for the tip.

I have never shipped something in a container :) I will call a local shipping company.

cheers

Mohan

4. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

seaway transport

As far as I know cost of container shipping from USA to Germany is ca 1000-1500 USD

Maciej

5. doesitfloat

doesitfloat Junior Member

We have always had containers or trainers delivered. Then we build racks and stack boats.

6. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

What Maciej says would be about the naked transport costs; you have to add a few charges like fob costs and costs of discharge (unloading and transports. Sometimes you have to pay extra for demurrage in case your container is not fast enough cleared from the port-grounds. Then you have to add costs of customs and excise, importduties as the US is not an EEC member (check the regulations) alltogether you may double the transportcosts and you might have covered the mainframe of charges.

About handling: reasonable. They don't play football with containers and reasonable care is applied (mostly).
    You have to make sure this boat cannot move IN the container. Because a ship moves while in motion,,,,,,,, but that you know...

1 person likes this.

7. Baitcrate

Baitcrate New Member

I'd check with a shipper directly. There's too much misinformation floating around about boat shipping, especially internationally and in a container.

Edit: Sorry, I realize this is an old thread, but if anyone needs the info on what's involved, costs, etc. these guys https://www.a1autotransport.com/services/boat-transport.php will tell you at no charge. Even if you go with a different shipper, it's still helpful to know what's involved and the rough cost of it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016