bibliography

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by yairsuari, Dec 10, 2006.

1. yairsuari

yairsuari New Member

as a sports student i am currently working on a project that involves comparing boat building ratios and velocity in different point of sailing and wind speeds
    we want to compare those to some writen literature.
    1. are there any scientific (reviewed) articles about boatbuilding that specify some of the ratios like length/sail area loa/weight etc?
    2. if not is it in books for non engineers?

thanks for your help

2. khasmoth

khasmoth Junior Member

You came to the right forum. But could you clarify what are you exactly looking for?

3. yairsuari

yairsuari New Member

looking for

what i want to do is use GPS data
    1. frome a bavaria 32 yacht
    2. from an olympic windsurfer
    to create the 2 boats polar chart in different wind/sea situations. then i want to analize this data in 2 ways:
    1. the reasons for the difference in terms of boat structural parameters (like the boat ratios i mentioned)
    in this section i want to obviously explain what is planing
    2. the competitive meaning of my findings. mainly that slow boats (yacht)need to find wind shifts and the faster boats (windsurfer) need to find gusts.
    the thing is that i only learn sports, not engineering but to make the university standad i must have some reviewd papers in my bibligraphy and all the ones i found deal with the subject of planing and boat building in only on the engineering level and not my level (i dont need the formula of the angle of attack a specific boat will start planing)

4. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Oh no...:!:

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

khasmoth...funny vidios ,,thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.