Beam trawl query

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, May 18, 2007.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Again thank you all for your interest - and again sorry to have inadvertently 'misled' you with my description of 'beam trawling'. As I explained - local names for local 'games'. Yours aye, Bergalia

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I didn't know what a beam trawl was until I googled it. Here's a site from Greenpeace with underwater video of a beam trawl. I'm not so sure, as it doesn't seem to have a beam keeping the net open, but whatever it is, it's a disaster.
    http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/oceans/problems/beam-trawlers-destroying-the-seabed
    Guillermo's photo of two boats pulling each side of one net reminds me of a home film I saw on the tube that was shot in the 50's somewhere in Africa. It started with machine gunning a pond full of crocadiles, then showed some natives on foot killing an elephant with spears, which ecologically was OK as that was their ''job'' and that's how they did it, but it was brutal as apparently it's sheer numbers that do the trick and they go for the eyes first to blind them. The last part showed two Land Rovers, maybe a hundred feet apart with a cable strung between them racing through the savanah with a herd of stampeding zebra between them, clipping the feet out from under them at a full gallop. I don't remember if there was a purpose, such as to clean up the place for ranching, or if it was just something fun to do. Sam

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Bergalia mate I hate to disagree with such a noble fellow but your wrong! If t'wern't such an activity as the three 'Cod Wars' how come several ships got dented (seriously) and traw warps cut during towing thus endangering the 'poor wee fishermen'? or is your wife Icelandic?

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Funny, we row on a lake or a river with a piece of wood at the end of the line with a lot of hooks or "flies", That piece of wood is the otter. Normally we have one on each side an the line going through the boat, on person rowing and the other collecting the fish :)

Attached Files:

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

That takes me back to my 'boyhood' in the Highlands Raggi. The otter board - a real 'killer' among the trout. A group of 'bloody butchers'; 'teal and greens' tailed with a 'grouse and claret'...Highly illegal of course (in Scotland anyway) instant fine if you're caught with one in your possession.
    But who gets caught ????:)

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hey Berg,

In your boyhood did you ever catch some of those Scottish Brown Trout???

Tim

PS Aint lookin for no affection, just an answer :) :) :)

7. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Here a picture taken in the port of Rianxo, close to where I have my office.
    Several of those boats are 'bous de vara', so beam trawlers.
    Cheers.

Attached Files:

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Tim, I can say with my hand on my heart - in my youth - and later years I was the scourge of the Lords Burton and Lovat's lochs and rivers. Fly, naturally.
    Biggest brownie I ever caught (teal and green) was 14 lbs. Biggest salmon (hairy mary) 36 lbs...But of course I have an 'angler's tale).
    Crouched in the bushes one evening on the river Glass, near Inverness (Lovat's estate) I hooked into what I thought was a big salmon, and at the same moments heard a crashing in the bushes...Knowing it was my third 'warning' by the ghillie (this time he was entitled to consficate my rod, tackle and even the car) I whipped the rod back to break the line...instead I yanked the fish up onto the gravel...and in that split moment realised it was a trout of 'enormous proportions) 20 -25lb at least. But before I could reach it, it had flapped its way back into the water. So I turned to proclaim my innocence to the ghillie - only to be confronted with a startled cow which had come down to drink....
    Trout, by the way, are not considered 'game fish' in the Highlands and you are free to fish on any water - even 'private' beats - as long as you are tackled up for trout, and not the salmon. In fact you could fish (for trout) beside HM the Queen on the Balmoral waters and there's nothing (rpt) NOTHING she or her entourage could do to move you...
    Never fished beside the Queen - but I have frequently with Billie Connolly..but so have all the Highland regulars. A great guy - totally unaffected.:)

9. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

To flop that monster onto shore he was either already running at you, or you had one heck of a strong leader :)

I was fishing a lake in Newfoundland once. Right where the lake ran out into a small whitewater river I hooked what I est. to have been a 22lb. "Winonish" a landlocked Atlantic Salmon. IF I would have immeidietly worked up the shore away from the outlet I may have had a snowball's chance. My 6lb. line parted with the fish 3ft. in front of me. Don't know if he went down the river or up the lake as I had looked to Heaven in disbelief:(

Take care Berg.

Tim

10. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Sorry for getting off-topic.

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Strong leader Tim - I was 'illegally' tackled up for salmon...As an odd aside the Highlanders call the 'heavier trace' a 'Wullie Wallace' (strong leader...)
    And what's with this 'off the topic'... makes a change from all that boring boating stuff...kitchen designs and such...pah....:)

12. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Still waiting for a call back from our state's Dept. of Eviromental Protection. There was an oil slick flowing out of a tributary into the main creek at my favorite fishing hole yesterday. Guess they don't want to disturb thier weekend for something like that. I'll check tomorrow and if nothing has been done, e-mail a letter to the local newspaper. Our state workers have no shame though, so I doubt they would care. *******!

I was pulling in a small brown (11') the other evening around dark. A 2ft.+ fish attacked it repeatedly while I reeled it in. Bass, Pike, giant Brownie??? Hopefully I'll find out :) The light was to bad to ID it.

Alot of the water in the UK is controlled by private interests I take it?

Tim

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Possibly a feral trout (hooked beak like a parrot..extreme cannibals...Great eating) - but more likely a pike...also good eating - but watch for the bones.

Most waters in England and Wales are private. The same with southern Scotland. But the Highlands retains an eliment of 'independence' - lots and lots of lochs and hill lochans. 'Nae bugger owns they...' And of course the trout not classed as a game fish helps. (And as any good Highlander will assure you - the salmon he caught wasn't wearing an owner's address...)
    Look out - here come those boatie types who'll start whining that we're 'Off topic...':rolleyes:

14. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

like to take you 2 fishing in Ouvea lagoon, 15 mile across, near New Calidonia , marvellous green jobfish, trouble is makos take most of the hook up. best fish I ever ate, along with dorado

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Jeff...dock this man a dozen points - he's off topic. This is a boating forum, not a bloody anglers bar.....:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.