Bailing option from the Ausies

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Good grief ! You Ausies must come right. Someone (from .AU) sent me this pump as a solution for when the boat gets a whole and is making water to pump the water out with.

The argument is you plug the pump in the whole and the water that leaks in is used to pump the water out of the hull.

What were you okes thinking eh mate ?! :p

Here it is, as said, from down under, see for yourself.

http://www.intasafety.co.za/pages/products_v-pump.php

2. JSL

JSL Senior Member

This is a venturi pump- been around for decades. Any of you that ever had a waterbed ( a bag full of water for you young guys) would have had one. The ratio is about 5 to one (I think???)- you need 5 gallons of supply(under pressure) for every gallon removed.

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Hi Fanie

Us Aussies might be dumb but we know how to spell Aussie and hole.
    Anyway, that style of pump is called a jet pump, and is used for extracting water from a depth that a standard centrifugal pump can't suck.

However it normally uses the water from down the hole to circulate water through a venturi to suck up the water.

I've never seen one that uses a garden hose, where an extension cord could also reach. We'd only send information about that pump to anyone who is silly enough to buy it.

When are you migrating to Australia Fanie, there can't be many of you guys left over there, every second person you talk to over here's got a funny iksent.

Poida

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

If I calculated correctly, I should be able the guys in Oz start laughing in about 4 minutes. I'm going outside to have a listen.

Fanie, the sensible thing to do would be to just go ahead and install a few right now. They can run themselves dry until a new hole happens.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yeah yeah it was late way past bed time, but glad I got to some of you over there trying to cover up ;)

Actually it should work if you consider outside the boat there is no pressure, but if you get a whole hole inside the pressure is always extreme at any depth and the flow rate is also always sufficient to drive a prop, so you may well get anywhere between propelling and bailing with the vacuum pump, right.

Maybe if it doesn't work inside the boat you should put it on the outside to reverse the effect, the Ausie Aussies recon the ratio is around 30%, the pump should then pump 60% out to allow 30% water in, a gain of around 30%, which seems what the pump is designed for.

Sorry Poida, the migration thing is not going to happen, us Boere never needed many and watch over the next few years what is going to happen. The world history is already written, there are some that deny it and do their utmost to change the inevitable, that is why the whole world is plundering here at a rate that makes one's eyes water. Nothing to do with "religion" and politics, both are man-made atrocities to get power and control over the people. If you voted in the previous election that is because you believe it was the best you could do, that is religion and politics and that is exactly what they want you to do and think. The world is in the state it's in because people give criminals the power to do what they do, and the worst thing anyone can do is to begin to think. They'll jail or kill you for that. If you look on youtube alone for jesus fraud you'll find a biggy, thousands now have video's of UFO's and a lot more that doesn't fit in most people's reference framework. Denial is a river in Egypt and it is politically incorrect to state otherwise.

6. Poida

Poida Senior Member

WTF??

Poida

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Sure, not too long ago if you said the earth was round as to flat they'd burn you on a stake, or is it steak :D

Shop around a bit, there are lots going around.

8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Am I to understand that we are no longer on the subject of pumps.

I don't wish to sound rude but, what the f*^# are you talking about. lol

Poida

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I was referring to the the migration thing you suggested, but lets stick to the pump issue.

Like JSL said, venturi's has been around for ages, it's commonly used in sand blasters to spray the sand and we use them in the pick n place machine we make to convert pressurized air into a vacuum to suck the components up :D The hydroponic guys put air in the water with a venturi and you can buy off the shelf venturi's to mix fertilizer in your water when you wet the garden.

You can even build a ram pump that can pump water uphill without using any power, a hydro mechanical contraption that works on a similar principle, although the clicking in a boat will drive you nuts :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG0laNqJWY0

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.