attention fisherman and fish lovers

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by longliner45, Mar 5, 2007.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I have just tried a fish from newzealand ,,called hoki,,caught ,,processed and frozen at sea ,very good,,,can any of you fishheads from newzealand tell me about this fish,,,,, how is it caught ,,is it a bottom feeder or surface dweller or is it something old with a new name ,,,,,,,never seen it on market before.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I must go on to say that allmost all american fisheries are down on thier knees,,I just went to Hilton head island in south Carolina and ordered some grouper ,,when I asked the head waitor ,,,nice place,,white linen resteraunt,,,what kind of grouper ,,I was told it was WILD.grouper ..it was red grouper from coasta rica ,,what people dont know is that now a days .all your fish is imported ,,jet frieght cost ,,so no ice is used ,,only a couple of gell packs,thrown on top.very low quality,,,I know this is a boat site ,,,but were there is boats there is fish lovers ,,,longliner

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Hoki is a nice fish and inexpensive. Not because it is inferior but because it is a prolific breeder.

Don't know much about the fish google hoki. And is not used in boat building.

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

thanks poida

4. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

What Poida? I'm inexpensive!!!
    GRR GRR!!:mad:

Attached Files:

• FI.jpg
      FI.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  5. rayk

rayk Senior Member

Yummy Hoki

A bit of cut and paste from Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand. Fish is the link.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I like fish, I eat it a lot, I can get some frozen stuff in Malaysia at only 2 dollar a kilo and it is boneless--not bad with gravy.

I asked the fat ole chineese lady what was it? "fish she said" Well I replied I knew that but what kind of fish," dunno"

I boil it in milk,--thats the trick with fish.

7. rayk

rayk Senior Member

How about that island thing with the raw fish, cooking it in lime juice...I was quite partial to that. Much prefered it to grilled.
    The odd Thai green curry I have had in a restaraunt was nice too.

8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Ranchi Picasso

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I forgot to mention that they stink.

How can a small thing smell so bad?

How can a boat stink of fish for years?

You know those stripy ones that squirts water out of thier mouthes at insects and then eats them? I think they are known as Toxotes Jaculatrix if I remember correctly.

Well we have them in the Marina, they are very inquisitive and will watch you working. Somtimes they get a bit impatiant and squirt at you.

The missus gets the tiniest of hooks and a 2 foot piece of line and can catch 1 per minute. She guts them and fries them up. I dont eat them they are a bit small.

White people walk past and frown at her and accuse her of torchering baby fish. They are actually fully grown and will be eaten, usually within the hour.

Theres this Canadian guy with a pony tail ( Looks like a girl) was amazed at how to catch a fish -he had never seen it done. He would screem with this high pitched voice that he has and jump about when she caught one. Infact he looks so much like a girl the male monkeys growl at him and chase him,--they only do that to females!!!! I rest my case!

Attached Files:

10. RANCHI OTTO

Poida...one question...

"Why Otto Ranchi doesn't permit me to be on board of his high speed boats during the speed trials?" :D

Attached Files:

• ippo.jpg
      ippo.jpg
      File size:
      64.8 KB
      Views:
  11. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Looks like it got stuck changing from an eel to a fish...or maybe visa versa ;)

Steve

12. Poida

Poida Senior Member

You could be on to something here Ranchi.
    The "Hippo Hull" turn that design of yours upside down and it would make the perfect boat. Like the Jumbo Jet of the boat world.

13. RANCHI OTTO

GOOD IDEA...thank you!:D

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I like the 'dunno' fish, prefer 'hoki' tho' nearly as good as 'cod'

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Walrius --Cod?? didnt they eat all the herrings? I only have enough money for fish cakes.

Any way I thought you ate Dabs down there, and Mackeral and Dog fish.
    Personally I like chips,--big fat crispy ones with the skin on-n loads of vinigar, especially out of the News of the world with Hatty Jaques on page #3#4#5#6.

How much is Fish -n -Chips now--about 50 quid?

Dont eat salt, it gives you blood pressure at your age.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.