attention fisherman and fish lovers

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by longliner45, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I would like all professional fishing stopped and people are only allowed to catch fish that they eat.

The last hunting ground for man.

We were talking about this over lunch today and someone said what about the fish and chip shops? Someone replied make it BYO.

It this do two things save the fish stocks and get people off their bums away from the TV and oops computers and doing some physical exercise.

Poida

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Totally agree commercial fishing is by and large about greed! Ban nets in every type (except for keep nets and maybe static nets like subsistance fishermen in the remoter parts of the world) Also ban japanese style longliners - better than nets but not much!! Fishing has for years been the way of feeding the masses,fish meal for fertiliser and the likes - ban it - fishing for food only from small boats! Like whaling! allow whaling from the old style rowing whale boats! gives the fish a chance!

3. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

I agree. however there are a lot of fishing guides out there who would attempt to classify themselves as sports fisherman. They are no different than commercial, fishermen. I totally agree with the idea of only catching what you can eat. The trophy fishing industry kills a lot of fish needlessly. In Westcoast Canadian waters, 80% of the sports caught Salmon are caught by less than 20% of the fishing population.

4. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Ahem, a Whale is not a fish. It is a mammel. Or so I was always taught.

Mychael

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im all for a bit of fun but look out,-- here is serious frost.

Are we really talking about stopping fishing??? So if you fancy a bit of fish for your supper youve got to go and get it?

What if you fancy a Hamburger??

I think it just needs a little bit---a lot of organisation which seems to be difficult when corperate memebrs are involved. Not to mention countries like japan and Norway.

Can you eat seagulls? They seem to benefit from human stupidity.

6. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Well meat is not a good example as it's a renewable supply sorry, a controlled renewable supply. As I already stated land farmers know how to nurse the land and give it a chance to rejuvinate.. That is simply not happening with commercail fishing.
    People have to wake up, gone is gone, finished, finito, the end, bugger all left of nothing and it will happen unless there is a world wide (totally wishfull thinking) agreement as to how large scale fishing is done.. Read my other post about Global warming, humans are greedy, short sighted and will ultimately consume and **** themselves and the planet if not literaly to death then to a much more unpleasent place then it is already.

Mychael

7. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

With fish farming in place ( a bit of a nusiance in some of my favorite achorages) there is no longer a need for commercial fishing in the oceans. I have even eaten some prime farm raised Atlantic Salmon raised in the Pacific Northwest and I hate to admit that it was very good.

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

MMMmmm! Jack you can eat seagull - ask the old inhabitants of several off shore islands (st. Helena, Tristan Da Cunha, and some of the Scottish ones) apparently it tasted awful but it kept you alive!

Mychael - all the old whalermen refered to whales as fish (why not they swim in the sea don't they?)

lancer - fish farming yeah great, if you want to eat something that eats its own ****, go ahead, me I prefer something fresher!

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Farmed fish eat thier own ****!!!!!!!!!!

That has to be the dumbest post I have ever read.

Hang on,-- I need a minute to get over this,------- Nope,- I cant, im sorry Im speechless.

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Damn, jack, that's twice in one week I find myself agreeing with you...which is worse, my having you on my side, or you finding yourself in agreement with a septic?

Anyway, you're right in that eliminating all commercial fishing is neither possible nor desireable. Where fisheries have been managed by well enforced quotas they have recovered well over a period of years. The trick is to get all countries to agree on quotas and to agree on policing efforts. Of course, as you said, that's one hell of a lot easier said than done, between the politicians of the "enlightened" democracies who eagerly lick the hands of the big corporate interests who donate the most money, and Japan and Norway, which seem bent on sucking every form of life from the seas until they are sterile.

11. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Walrus, me buddy, are you out of your ever-lovin' mind?? Whales are fish?? Whaling is OK if you don't make the harpoon boat too big??

I expected better from you. On the subject of whaling, you're way off base.

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Mychael, Lancerbye, Poida,

I think you're on the right track. Trophy fishing, like trophy hunting, is an activity for males who have a need to show off to reaffirm to themselves their malehood. Unfortunately, there are enough of those types to severely deplete many types of animals and fish.

Fishfarming is a good idea. Some ways of doing it are better than others. Shallow water farms with insufficient water circulation and too close crowding can result in high concentrations of toxins, as well as fish "meat" lacking the traditional benefits of fish, because they don't do much swimming, live a thoroughly artificial life. I have read about some newer methods involving stronger and larger enclosures, enabling farming in the open ocean, offshore. Fish raised there live a more natural existence. It's a process, hopefully moving in the right direction.

13. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

Charmc, Mychael, Poida,

The idea as some of you stated of stopping all Commercial fishing is a goal that should be kept in sight. As for Trophy fishing, don't leave the women out of the picture. The area I used to be in had a great number of guided Salmon fishing operations who got a lot of their clientel from the affluent females of our society. These operations worked mostly for large Resorts that are owned by the same people who make our laws. The guided operations took as much fish in as the Troll fleet. They are very good at what they do. They also have a stronger lobby than the small independent commercial fisherman. Who do you think is going to lose out? The fish primarily and the independant Troller or Gillnetter who were the only ones bringing in quality fish to the market. The pie is being divided up between the commercial Packing Plant operations who run mostly Seine boats owned by lawyers, doctors, and wealthy businessmen. (tax shelters) and the commercial sports fishing industry via resorts that are owned by lawyers, doctors and wealthy businessmen. Hmm The political body that makes the rules are made up of lawyers,doctors and wealthy businessmen. Is ther a problem with the fox guarding the hen house?

14. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

Hey Walrus
    Actually farm fish eat dogfood. I hope you don't think that the can of salmon you might be eating is any better than farmed Salmon. You don't have to spend much time around a fish packing plant to find out that you would have been better off with the farmed fish. I have seen the fish that the seine boats bring in, that end up in cans. Actually they are easier to handle when you can pour them straight into the can. LOL

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Yeah, of course there is. Laws made by lawyers, most legislators are lawyers, only way to challenge laws or to defend against lawsuits or actions by govt is to go to court, oops, must hire a lawyer. Try to represent yourself, judge says, "You didn't hire a lawyer. You must not be taking this court seriously." Legislators are obsessed with their perks, want to be treated differently from the masses, and desperately want to get reelected. Spend more time fundraising than working on legislation. Lobbyists paid for by wealthy businessmen write legislation favoring their industry and give big money. Individual taxpayers get to talk to junior staff members, if lucky. US Congress passed a law making it illegal for telemarketers to call anyone who has asked not to be called. "Oh yes, forgot to tell you, we exempted ourselves from that law. You'll be called day and night, even Sundays, by our own telemarketers, because those nasty telemarketers are evil.....except when they're working for us!"

Democrats ran against Iraq war and "Republican corruption". Prominent Democrat is hosting a huge party for Democrat members of Congress in Puerto Rico resort, paid for by lobbyists. Bill passed today supposedly to make a statement about ending Iraq war has hidden appropriations for "pork" projects to buy votes, and $100 million dollar appropriation for "security for 2008 Democrat convention".

For sure, Lancerbye, the foxes appoint themselves guardians of the henhouse!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.