attention fisherman and fish lovers

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by longliner45, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Morton bay bugs. Harder to get to the flesh then cray but very Yummy.
    When I holidayed in NZ I tried Puara (think that is how it's spelt), thought it was a bit overrated. My Kiwi friend told me they don't get the big ones like they used to. I found them a bit tough.
    Tassie Oysters, very nice, I reckon on a par with any other ones I've tried so far.
    Abalone, really depends on how it's cooked, I've had some tough as old boots and not a lot of flavour.

Mychael

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Walruss me mate, MOVE! MOVE!
    Western Australia, take your boat out on Saturday, chuck a couple of craypots over the side. pick 'em up on Sunday morning, yummy. Where's the expensive Earthy part?

Well after you've paid for the fishing licence there's no expensive part.

I don't buy seafood at a restuarant except the old battered fish and chip place. I can normally cook it better than they can.

There's nothing worse than paying a fortune for a plate of food that would taste much better if it cost a tenth of the price and cooked much better.

Poida

3. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

Safewalrus remember don't smoke the tea. You must have got the jars mixed up. As for the true thread I also like some of our crawly friends. Crayfish and lobster are only available in stores on the West Coast of Canada but Dungeness Crabs are quite plentiful and very delicious as are Prawns but prawns are a lot of work (300 ft. of line to haul up a trap) I can't wait for summer to get a good feed of both. Fresh caught crab still hot from the boiling with a dipping of clarified garlic butter. I am making myself hungry.

4. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

Never try to justify sports fishing as a cost effective way to obtain food. I figured out my cost per once once of a fishing trip I went on for Salmon in Northern British Columbia, I won't do that again (calculate the cost that is). Never mind the cost of the boat, the license, the transporting my sport fishing boat 800 miles, the fuel cost to get to the fishing grounds by boat, the repairs needed for the engine, etc. I could have had Caviar flown to me by a private jet cheaper. But my son and I had a ball which is what fishing is supposed to be about. Getting nice fresh seafood is just a bonus.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hey fellahs going to have to stop you right now! I'm getting tooooooo hungry for decent sea food! hard to find around these tired old islands these days! Sad but true!

6. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

That is a sad state of affairs. Howevere we will end up in the same place if driftnet fishing is allowed to continue offshore. So far on the west coast of Canada fishing is still pretty good and we have a lot of variety. 5 species of salmon, numerous types of cod, lots of different Rock fish and Snappers,Halibut,sole, Flounder, Skate,oysters,scallops,clams, but no lobsters.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sardines on toast.---cheap!!!

8. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

Have you ever tried Bergu. I think that is how it is spelt. A sailors substinance.

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Lancerbye,

You've got your priorities straight. Good man.

Charlie

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Hard to think of anything good to say about driftnet fishing.....unlimited expansion of this is going to ruin the oceans.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I thought that fish was good for you. I thought that fish was the best food you can eat.

I have to stop eating it,-- my doctor said,-- too much absorbic acid,-- i feel ok,---bumber I love sardines on toast--with salad cream sometimes-- and pepper.

My doctor said iether stop eating sardines or stop drinking beer.

Dam I cant make my mind up what to do!!

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Doesn't sound like a hard decision..... and you'd make some poor little sardines very happy :p :D

13. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

In our Westernport bay I believe they are buying out commercial licences and the bay is improving, once again people are able to catch good sized snapper on a line.
    I am amazed how commercial fishermen supposedly knowlegable about their career and fish and stuff, will continue to fish unabated until they are forced to stop.. Farmers have the sense to allow paddocks to fallow and rest and understand about crop rotation and soil rejuvanation.
    I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying this but fishermen (in a commercial sense) don't seem to be very bright or environmentally aware. The small scale ones in trailerable boats seem to show no seamanship at all.

Mychael

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Michael you have hit the nail sqare on the head there mate.

I have seen on the telly so many times on ducumentaries and the like of fishermen throwing away what looks like decent sized fish because the narrator explains that this is the wrong fish and the wrong size and they can be fined for having this on board.

Well the thing is already dead by the time its is unburried from the rest and a desicion is made about keeping it or not.

If its already dead then keep it and make fish fillets and fish fingers or what ever. feeding the seagulls is hardly productive.

Dead--- over the side for the seagulls.

Now I am not a fisherman or ever have been but it seems to me that that is not was intended when the government says throw them back in. Surely they meant still alive to spawn on.

As far as the sea is concerned that is another fish gone --doesnt matter if we ate it or the seagull had its another fish gone.

Its worst here where they pair trawl day and night in 8 meter with nothing less than stocking mesh,---nothing and I mean nothing escapes.

15. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

Some very good comments. I did comercial fish for a number of years. Salmon trolling where hook and line are used to target specific species. There were very rarily occasions to catch the wrong species. This was the way to catch the best quality fish. However greed intervened and Seine boats were allowed, the decline of the fish stocks started at that point. As for ocean trawlers, they should never have been allowed. Greed by the large fish packing companies who have a fair amount of political alliance is the main reason for the declining fish stocks. The poor little fisherman is of no consequence, they are just slaves to the large fish packing companies. I am in the middle east right now where I see the small fisherman fish on a daily basis and sell his catch directly to the public. This kind of fishing would never cause the problems we face in declining fish stocks. It takes government backed large efficient corporate fishing factories to accomplish that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.