AM/FM?CD Player Marine Grade?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by heyblmyers, Jul 2, 2007.

1. heyblmyers

heyblmyers New Member

I have been loking to replace my radio in my 1997 sea ray 190 bowrider. The radio is installed in the dash. I was wondering if I need to go with the "marine grade" or can I INSTALL a quality car grade radio? What is the differnce? Also on the 6.5" speakers should I go marine grade or reg non paper speakers? any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Anytime they put the "marine" tag on something it is gonna cost alot, lot more! You could probably buy 3-4 decent units for the price of a "marine" grade set. Some are not even what they claim.

A related example. My friend John is a veterinarian. He purchesed a "medical" grade rechargeable drill- $1500. His regular rechargeable drill at home looked almost exactly the same. Only difference he could see was the case color.

He got the serial #'s from both drills & called the company. They were the exact same drills case color & "medical" tag being the only difference. The home model could be heat sterilized and all. One more difference- approx. $1250!

If I were to get a unit because of weather exposure I'd get it from West Marine or another reputable company. A spray cover would be alot cheaper.

Take care.

Tim

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

or better still get a standard portable - use it anywhere! (put a plastic bag over it on the boat! don't have to be tight just as long as it keeps the wet out)!

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Tim,

I have a friend who is a podatrist. He mentioned once something about having to stop at Home Depot for an attachment for his Dremel unit. I made a joke about using a hobbyist's tool on his patients, and he said, "That's exactly what I do." The reason was the same; when his medical tool burned out, he called Dremel and found out there was hardly any difference between the medical and "regular" Dremel tools ... except an extra zero in the price.

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I hear you Charlie.

Take care friend.

Tim