Alan Bond dies

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Mr Efficiency, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The entrepreneur behind the successful 1983 America's Cup challenger, Australia II, has died at 77 from complications of heart surgery. Gave us Aussies something to cheer about back in the 80's, though he was a Brit originally !

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Also apparently started the building of Bark Endeavour replica, plenty still enjoying the ship!.

Jeff

3. Mr Efficiency

A man that thought big, pulled off some big things, but also failed spectacularly in some business dealings. But wasn't going to die wondering.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I looked at the endeavour in freo when it was half built. After bondy went broke they were charging admission to go in the shed and look at it. Proceeds went towards finishing it.

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

.....though he was a Brit originally !

Aren't we all :?: :D

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Alan Bond and Australia II

I'll never forget watching the '83 Cup on tv and rooting for Australia II. The last upwind leg was spectacular! I remember Alan Bond raising his arms to get Australia II lifted out of the water to show off her winged keel. Bond, Australia II and the whole Team inspired me and my brother-not just Australians!
    I'll never forget seeing Australia II come out flying the boxing kangaroo flag while playing this awesome song-and this unforgettable lyric: "Can't you hear the thunder from Down Under!" :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

Attached Files:

7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Thanks Doug for posting that, always makes me smile.
    I wondered if the guy planting the sold sign in the sandhill was suposed to be Alan?
    A great period in the marine industry, heaps of work on great rates:)

All the best from Jeff.

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

They used to sell offcuts from the job as souveneers as well, by chance we were in Freo the day she launched... got my feet wet with the surge, little did I know that I'd be working on her later. Worked on the re-rig in 2011 & dockings/repairs since when required, a couple of the original build crew came on for some of the rigging job, they went onto part pay to see the job through back in the day, great guys & very cluey.

Jeff.

9. Mr Efficiency

He was shipped out here at a young age. Wasn't short of get-up-and-go, but it wasn't all good news about Alan, he did get carried away with things to the extent of spending some jail time over shady business practices. That probably reflects his penchant to push everything to the limit, I doubt many people would have kept persisting with the Cup challenges, he had multiple failed campaigns before succeeding.

10. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I think he was related to arfur daley.

11. Mr Efficiency

He was responsible for misappropriating a good deal more tham Arfur. But that was old Bondy, if he was gonna turn bad, it wasn't going to be for peanuts. But as Arfur might have said, he didn't do a "runner", but faced the music and served jail time.

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.