AIT Around In Ten

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Feb 7, 2014.

1. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Hey Manie,

I cannot help but wonder whether there is an analytical method to finding the optimum solution, should one exist.

In mountaineering, two approaches to climbing a high peak are typically followed.
    The siege approach, where you carry in tons of provisions and make a small amount of progress daily, vs the alpine approach, where one or two guys with what they can carry move very quickly, thereby ensuring success. Both have their merits.

Can one accurately enough predict sailing conditions to take an educated guess as to daily progress?

Do you build a faster boat with less provisions, which helps to make it lighter and thus faster still?
    Or do you take the tortoise approach, slow but sure and with enough equipment and provisions to allow you to survive and complete the journey regardless of progress?

I always read Steve Callahan's book "Adrift" whenever I have dreams of long singlehanded voyages. It has so far always governed my exuberance!

(At least half of my deck-space will contain a built-in solar water still if I had to design this boat. And the rest would be flexible solar panels.)

I will gladly look at and comment on design details, do a few calculations (as long as they are confirmed with testing...) and share the beers and boerewors.
    As far as the "system-design" goes, you guys have a lot more experience than I do on the practicalities of spending long times on the water in small boats, so I shall only follow the arguments with interest.

I have to be frank and add that I would much rather sail around the world on your current boat than on the new one. It seems positively palatial in comparison. Who said a 16.5 foot boat was small?

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Dries,

Yes I have read Steve Callahan and here is his new design
    http://stevencallahan.net/images/spcdesigns/solo22-2.pdf
    lots of good info from a master.

In view of all the stuff I have read on these small 10 foot boats over the years 1950 to 1990 - lots here http://www.microcruising.com/famoussmallboats.htm - they all have one thing in common and that is 2 to 3 knots.
    So my approach at this stage is maximum comfort or as you put it :
    "you take the tortoise approach, slow but sure and with enough equipment and provisions to allow you to survive and complete the journey regardless of progress"

I don't like the word "race" you can only have a race when a couple of people have actually "done it" then organise some sort of race.
    The problem with the first "AIT" concept was that many a pot smoking wackhead got on that site with some "far out" crazy ideas. This drew unwanted negative publicity which got out of hand.

Sven Yrvind has given credibility to the AIT concept and as his boat is coming together more and more people will start looking at this prospect with a more "open mind"

I would like to suggest that the winner will most likely be the first to actually FINISH.
    The winner wont spend days on land, the winner will be the guy with the least amount of stops.

So that's the idea, like Jester - no rules - a ten foot 3m boat
    you can start anywhere in the world - start your transponder and away you go - do a lap and go home :rolleyes:
    anybody can go along and yes you can borrow my 5m boat if you like as a support boat ;) ;) ;)

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Dries just something that I want to add,

This 10 footer is basically my own boat without the back cockpit and the front section cut off. That's is why I know it is genuinely comfortable inside.

2 comfortable seats so that you can sit on the lee side and relax backwards.
    Nice standing position to stretch the legs
    and a comfortable bunk more or less in the middle of the boat - feet forward - the bunk is behind a bulkhead so that when water comes in the hatch the bed stays dry. In other words a wet room at the stern and a dry room forward.

Most important INSIDE STEERING

4. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Hi Manie,

I think the keel could be extended to meet up with the rudder-skeg to become one continuous leeway-resisting surface. Structurally easier and probably less draggy as well.
    Alternatively a keel and a deployable daggerboard, that is dropped on the windward side. I think everything you can do to increase the longitudinal stability on such a small beam/length ratio is mandatory. This diverges from the simplicity formula, unfortunately.
    I am always tempted to make it sail as quick as possible, to the detriment of other considerations.
    I think the balanced lug is a good choice, a handy rig and as you have pointed out, surprisingly quick. I think also it is a good choice, as you are mainly going to be running with this route. Can you arrange limited sail-handling from within the enclosed cockpit?

5. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Thanks MoeJoe - fantastic article wow !!!

7. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Floating Bear, kite-powered . . .
    _Around_in_Ten_The_Floating_Bear_.jpg
    click pic to enlarge
    Guess this is 2008 or earlier, anyone know what became of this attempt . . ? ? ?

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Angel - he did test it and it was not good
    I cant recall all the details but going up and down the beach a couple of times was ok, but no good in the swells.

9. Angélique

Thanks Manie [​IMG], just found some info here and here . . .

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

This is all fine Manie, but so far I have not heard of any plans for an important topic: what are your plans for the liquor/beer supply?

11. Angélique

Just saw this on the Floating Bear . . .

12. Angélique

Solution from previous quote: ‘‘ it will be an integral part of the ballast system, to be replaced by salt water as they are consumed. ’’ :p :p

13. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

It is his thread....

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

:D :D :D :D :D

well you sure got me laughing nice to see the "lighter" side
    You know me by now :eek:

strictly whiskey on board, no beer or wine
    that's all the more reason too keep the legs at 100 days max :p:p:p

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

oh well just got to draw
    bit crazy when you fall in love with your own design
    61 on 28th
    finish Fargo and build a ten ??????
    Missus is gonna freak - bliksem hier kom kak

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.