AIT Around In Ten

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Thanks, but no thanks, Chinese volunteers have the bad habbit of ending up where they didn't want to be in first place.... :D:D

P.S. thanks for the kudo's

1 person likes this.
  2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Thanks Westel, very nice Trophy [​IMG]

The term ‘‘ Chinese Volunteer ’’ may need some clarification though, as it is a literal translation of a saying in Dutch whose meaning in English is ‘‘ Being Shanghaied ’’

In fact is such a person an unwilling volunteer or a forced volunteer, so the figurative meaning is the opposite of being a volunteer.

Quote is a reply (7th April 2015 11:56 am) from above link:

3. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Thanks Angel for the clarification, I thought it was a worldwide known saying.
    Since I've learned "English" from old TV series like "Mannix", "Car 54 where are you" (I was born a bit before 1982 LOL ) it's no surprise that I make many grammar and spelling mistakes, for which my apologies.

Appreciate that you like the trophy !!

4. Angélique

Hence they invented ‘‘Shanghaiing’’

The Dutch version (sort of translation) of it might as well be called ‘‘ Chinese Vrijwilliger ~ Chinese Volunteer ’’ instead of the explanation in above quote about the Korean War (1950-1953).

5. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Nice design Angelique. Are you going to sew all those little sails yourself?

6. Angélique

It's the 1854 Clipper Ship Lightning, couldn't find the sailmaker though . . ;)
    -- link -- link -- link -- link -- link --
    . . . from last link . . .​
    [​IMG]

7. Jamie Kennedy

I know her well. She was commanded by Bully Forbes, who also commanded Marco Polo, and liked to set records by having his crew jailed in Australia so they could not jump ship and cause delays in recruiting replacements.

8. Angélique

[​IMG]
    What are the requirements to get the trophy, does it need to pass the equator during the voyage, i.e. does Manie's current plans for a circumnavigation in the Southern Ocean qualify as a candidate for the trophy . . ? ?

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi folks and fans and supporters of AROUND IN TEN :D :D :D :D

As we are progressing rather well with our TEN - and our proposed "race" of SaToSa - https://www.facebook.com/Satosamicroyachts?ref=hl

I just want to clarify certain points:

1 A ten foot boat is just that - TEN FOOT LONG overall - bolt on bow sprits and swim platforms are ok - DONT CHEAT with excuses and other bulldust play the game honourably :cool:

2 A trip around the world is and was and always will be - crossing the equators - that means SaToSa DOES NOT qualify as a around the world trip ;)

3 We will work on our around the world trip later :eek:

4 The boat must be self righting and unsinkable - no bending the rules here

5 If you can fit a 100 hp diesel engine and several tons of fuel into your TEN you are welcome, buy me a beer when you plan on doing this :p

6 If you can afford to hire the Titanic or QE2 as a support vessel that also ok, please book me a cabin I'll pass the beer to you in your TEN

7 Full keel - finn keel - no keel all ok see rule no4

8 Sails masts sculls kites fart in the wind whatever - the choice is yours :confused:

9 TEN FOOT RACING is just that - ten foot racing - the trophy is cool. Forget about Volvo and RED Bull, we tried no luck :p

10 And last but not least, be safe, build a strong boat, and be prepared for a tiny boat / coconut / coffin / ugly tub that costs around US$ 1000 per foot ????
    this little beast of ours will finish of at US$ 10 000 (ten thousand dollars) because silentwind windcharger, torqeedo, ST1000, solar panels, lead crystal batteries, garmin, AIS radio and other insanely expensive toys just costs soooooo much more in deepest darkest Africa.

Anyway enjoy the show :)

10. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Hello Angel,

nobody ever gave me the "authority" to decide which circumnavigation get's the trophy.....and I would like to keep it that way ;)
    With the LOA of 10 ft , passing the equators might be the tricky part to decide when a circumnavigation is a circumnavigation as such or not.
    I think that via a poll the people on the Boat Design Forum can decide wether the trophy leaves my cabinet...or not :D
    After all....it's just a sculpture which is a very minor reward for and adventure like AIT !!
    Perhaps we should go back to the days when winning a trophy was much more important than everything that hangs around it today.....(money-advertisement-merchandising etc...etc...)

"Dimisit Populum Iudex"....;)

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Westel I'm with you on that, and as always I enjoy and appreciate Angels input, big thanks.
    I joke sometimes and the humour may not travel very well across continents, cultures and language barriers, forgive me for that
    but please believe me I have endless sleepless nights
    this is unbelievably stressful
    building a boat like this really takes it out of you
    it is a complex mind game that just does not end, night after night, day after day
    I take safety very very very seriously

12. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Nothing wrong with your humor Manie, keep it up I would say !

The boat you're building is taking it a few steps further than the occasional backyard boatbuilding project. The voyage in itself is even more out of the ordinary...
    Nothing less than complete respect to you Manie, no matter what !

13. Jamie Kennedy

Really looking forward to your sea trials Mani. Hope to learn a lot.
    Does Manie's Ten have a name yet?

14. Angélique

It's a good to have a known policy upfront for this, and I think the above is a good policy, we have to wait to see how the implementation works out.

The value of the trophy I think is that it's a recognition of the achievement, I'm sure it will be a precious tangible memory for the one who has earned it.

So I believe it's a good thing the trophy is out there as a prospect for the first finished AITer.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

15. Angélique

Regarding my question about the trophy, I agree with rule #2, which doesn't exclude you'll eventually win the trophy accordingly to rule #3 . . :cool:

As for the "length matter" I also agree wholeheartedly with rule #1 . . :)

Select some special food for the fart propulsion in rule #8 . . :D

As you know, I wish you Best of Luck [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.