AIT Around In Ten

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Thanks Erik [​IMG]

Guess the links in post #176 & #178 are a bit sloppy with the use of the name ‘‘Ljungström rig’’ for the ‘‘double jib on one stay’’.

Here's a Google translation of your Ljungström page, although Google isn't particular good in translating the sailing jargon . . :eek:

[​IMG]

This guy had similar twin headsails on one stay* but also had a main on his Montgomery-15 which he sailed from California to Hawaii in 1982.

* similar to the one linked in post #176 & #178

2. Angélique

Don't think you need an aft "main" sail, your ‘‘A-frame dual staysail rig’’ is kinda similar to the ‘‘Delta Rig’’ discussed by Garry Hoyt in Saling World sept 1994.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

( found the article here which is a German link, but more English articles there )

Will later answer further, have to work first . . :eek:

3. Angélique

Don't think you need an aft "main" sail but if you want one best Google ‘‘Mast Aft’’ Images to see how some have attached an sail aft of the aft-mast set up.

See also the thread Aftmast rigs??? for inspiration.

Brian Eiland's website Running Tide Yachts shows this option . . .
    [​IMG]
    Mast-Aft 50' Mono
    But it requires an awful lot of rigging IMHO and attachment of an aft sail on an A-frame would be different.

Again, will later answer further . . . .

P S.

I'll send Brian a PM to inform him I've posted a link to this design and ask permission for use of the drawing here.

4. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

That is simply awesome Angelique! gives me hope that my idea will work. especially since my setup is similar in plan to this one with the forestay jib smaller than the main.

started cutting out a scale version last night. already built a 1/12 scale cardboard model of it, and that is what made me raise the sheer.

will try and get some finished photos this weekend for everyone to critique me:D

in the mean time, I'm still working on cad drawings of the frames for a radiused chine version. here is a CAD drawing for you guys that have 3d capability

Attached Files:

5. Angélique

The use of a bumpkin + bobstay for the backstays on each corner would allow to mount the A-frame right at the transom. The A-frame than could be vertical or angled forward or backward to play with CE. This way CE will be far enough backwards to make the complication of a sail aft of the A-frame unnecessary.

If the main forestay is replaced by a tube the backstays + bumpkins and aft bobstays can be eliminated, see for this possibility post #143 & #144. The yankee than would still be on the wire fore forestay which is led to the bowsprit + bobstay.

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Aft-mast Rig

No problem Angelique....spread the word....;)

BTW, here is a static rigging force review I di with a slightly modified forward and aft jumper struts, and no backstay going to the stern of the vessel from the aft end of that aft jumper strut.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/aftmast-rigs-623-23.html#post414479

7. brian eiland

I see you found this article as well. I posted it on my website as well.
    Brian

8. brian eiland

AIT,....yes that abbreviation confused me as well. I had to go back to the start of this subject thread to see what it meant.

Somewhere on the Maltese Falcon subject thread I posted a pic of a very small vessel with a single Dynarig onboard that was utilized as a proof of concept. That would be an interesting vessel to bring up in this discussion,....if someone can find it.

9. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

[​IMG]was thihttp://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/sailboats/12030d1173895620-maltese-falcon-hit-miss-rt_perspective_sketch_white.gifs the one?

10. brian eiland

Mini Dynarig Vessel

I found it:
    Mini Dynarig Vessel.jpg

....how about one of these for the smaller vessels....:D

11. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I knew Tom Perkins was just showing off.....

12. Angélique

And much more I see, thanks [​IMG]

13. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

ok all,

here is a 1/12 scale model of her. this of course is a multi chine version, but you can see how she is.
    this doesn't have the bumpkins for the backstays, but after looking at this model, and reading Brian's tags, I can say adding them will be a must.

sorry no sails yet, couldn't find the right material around the house for them.

Attached Files:

14. Angélique

Take note that the mainsail of the rig that is illustrated in Garry Hoyt's article has full battens so that its foil shape is maintained thru a wide range of wind angles. Also it's likely to be made of high-tech non stretchable sail cloth for this reason.

15. brian eiland

That website of mine is just too dated, but I do not possess the computer knowledge/skills to update it. The webmaster of this Boatdesign site was kind enough to help me with it long ago based on an outline I submitted to him.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.