AIT Around In Ten

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Feb 7, 2014.

1. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

Hi Manie!

I agree about the dry bed, even Gerry Speiss talks about his pacific crossing and getting pooped and water coming in. but his boat the hatch is dead center, my design the hatch will be off center.

the other thing he talked about was that the big broad square stern on his boat got slammed a lot in a follow sea, which made it uncomfortable at least I would think. not sure how to get around that one yet.

so far I have two versions I am working on; one is a chined hull, the other a round bilge that is strip planked. I hope to be able to post pics before this weekend.

still working on sail design as well. Serge Testa commented to me that he sailed in a lot of head winds, so my thoughts of a lugger may not work.

perhaps the previous idea of an aft spar with a cutter rig may work out. we'll get there.

I am still thinking of the shorter hop route, but even with that you have a huge expanse to cross the Pacific and will need a 50 day supply to be safe.

Calif. to Hawaii is 2400 miles no matter how you look at it, that is a long way in a 10' boat. hence making island hoping a little more attractive.

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

One major irritation on my boat that I really hate is the coach roof where you bump your head when you sit back against the side of the hull. The same design "fault" is on the Selway Fisher 10. The Japanese guy got it right and the Russian boat also has this feature.

On a very small boat this drives you mad. It is of utmost importance that you can flop back against the side of the hull to sit back comfortably on the lee-side without any stiffener or rib sticking you in the back and there must be no edge where you could ever bump your head.

Very very very important.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      9.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      147.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      158.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi Manie,

When is the mast and keel going onto Fargo - cannot wait for the weekend of sail you promised at the Vaal and to have a few bottles of frosties with you and Ken.

BTW, going your way within 3 weeks to get marine ply at Scullies and will look in on you:cool:

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Wynand with the 2 long weekends coming up I am hoping to get the mast up :D
    You must come by - always welcome

5. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

Manie,

I agree. my designs are going to be more like a Michalak/ Bolger birdwatcher type cabin. flush with wales. this not allows more room inside the cabin, it will add stability to the design.

my radius chine design for instance, at gross weight, has 180 degree positive stability. see attached PDF

my multi chine design loses stability at 145 degrees but that doesn't account for a keel either.

here is a pic of the multi chine version, though the sail rig is not finalized. I am considering the aft spar option and running two head sails. this one show the lug rig. won't be very good to windward I'm afraid.

the keel is a wing keel from 3/8" steel plate, bent 15 degrees. weight is 100 pounds which add a lot of stability.

Attached Files:

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

wescraft the design looks great.
    please post a drawing of what you want to do inside and how are you going to keep the bed dry.

I am still going with a swim platform from which I will hang a small outboard

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Manie am still trawling through 11 pages of posts but two comments: 1. You're crazy. 2. A forward facing seat on the centre line avoids the head banging as it would be under the coachroof, furthermore I would make it a dentist chair recliner and you could put an elongated dome up there for additional movement roomhead. Now I shall shut up.

ps your little boat is probably no worse than my Achilles 24 with 4'5" headroom below bearing in mind I am 6'7" !!

8. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

Manie,

Thanks for the compliment.

as for the sleeping arrangement, I have two ideas at the moment, one is a simple plywood divider for just the gangway opening. But I am not sure that would be a great idea as it would tend to make me a bit claustaphobic.

The other idea is to attach a hand rail to the coach roof and then hang a simple vinyl curtain off it. it would be easy to get around should I need to exit the cabin in a hurry :D

I'll try to get a drawing together in the next day or so to show what I'm talking about.

in the mean time, still working out the dual headsail arrangement. to get enough sail area with dual headsails, going to have to go to taller masts, which will raise the CE and need more ballast to help steady her.

these boats being so small and heavy are going to require some decent sail area. I'm assuming a min. of 75 sq. feet to get her moving. it's always a balancing act now, isn't it;)

9. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

Manie,

well here is my idea for dual headsails. A-frame rig also. using twin back stays to the corners of the boat. will allow easier access to re-board from the rear if, God for bid, you find yourself overboard.

also, note the front view shows two people, one is sitting, the other standing. these are based on my 6' 4" frame...

you can also see that my bed arrangement. still a work in progress.

sure gives you a perspective of how diminutive these little boats are :)

working on the radius chine version using strip plank construction.

Attached Files:

10. RHP

RHP Senior Member

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

A narrow coach roof will make the boat unstable when 180° inverted so a wave will easily knock her back to the point where ballast takes over to right her.

A big flat deck, or a raised deck with the coach roof sides flush to the hull sides, will make the boat stable when 180° inverted so she might stay much longer in that position if ever get there.

I think this is the way to go, this is also what Sven had on his previous boat Yrvind.com. It also saves interior space, one seat instead of two. Also the weight of the skipper is better placed in the center than on the lee side for comfort in the two seat configuration, can't stay on the windward side all the time in a heeling heavy bumping little boat when it gets rough. Anyway be in cushions and wear a helmet and be buckeled up before the sh¡t hits the fan . . :idea:

Not necessarily . . ;)

P.S. - - Also in a forward facing seat three portlights will provide a view to both sides and forward which is better than when sitting on one side.

12. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

Great video RHP

13. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Making the cabin roof asymmetric (one side taller than the other by a bit) you will have greater displacement on one side at 180 deg inversion and complete instability. Inside you have greater sitting headroom on one side than the other.

14. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

perhaps, but having a large arc to the coach roof will do the same thing.

15. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

That's what Norwalk Islands Sharpies have, I guess you named the reason...

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.