After Matthew

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by philSweet, Oct 9, 2016.

1. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Just checking in. I have a third-hand account that my boat is still afloat and where I left it in Beaufort SC. How did the rest of you fair? And is there anybody here from Charleston or Savanna who can report on the marina situations? The Beaufort Co. Sheriff Dept. said they might let people in to inspect their property Sunday afternoon.

<Edit> Now confirmed - My 20 yr old bimini blew out, but all else okay. Beaufort Downtown Marina survived with only one or two boats sinking due to lost power, dead batteries, and bad leaks. Some other marinas were a total loss on Hilton head and Port Royal. They disintergrated and dozens of boats came ashore.

2. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thoughts with all who have suffered from Huricane Matthew. PAR will have been close, for sure. Hope all works out up the seaboard. Haiti was not so fortunate.
    Best wishes Phil, and to all afected.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Just some wind damage, which is typical. My property is surrounded by big trees, so limbs everywhere, but nothing serious. The trees break the violence of the wind, so the buildings see little.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We got a lot of wind(nothing serious) and rain(nothing serious) on the Gulf Coast, but it was nothing compared to Hermine which blew by a few weeks ago. I know some to the east who lost a lot of sleep due to severe conditions(several boats were somewhat ruined on St. Johns River when they slipped their moorings and collided with other boats) and rising of St. Johns River when Matthew held the water from flowing out the mouth of the river and a dock was lost at Cocoa from the storm. Polk County, west of the mouse, had some flooding issues.

5. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I was at the IBEX show in Tampa, they cut it short so people could get back to their homes and businesses before the storm. The hotels were packed with families escaping Mathew.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Matthew

I left Cocoa Beach on Wednesday to stay with friends in Geneva and came back
    Saturday. Power was on but no brighthouse(internet and phone service).
    We got very lucky based on the forecast when I left! My friends had a couple of tress down but no other damage except no power(and no running water) until Sunday.

Before and after shot of the dock at my condo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neighbors dock:

[​IMG]

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I am glad the pilings stayed in place. It will make the rebuild less nightmarish.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Matthew

I'm still amazed that the roof stayed in place. But I guess it makes sense: the wind was strong enough from the west to raise the water level up to grass level
    but it just never got strong enough to lift that roof. So water did the damage-not directly wind damage-at least thats my theory so far.

9. PAR

Was the roof "clipped", which is the whole point behind this addition to the building code?

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Matthew

Thats a good question that I don't know the answer to......And unfortunately , for the time being, I can't walk out and check it-but I will before too long.

11. PAR

Clipping has been "code" for a number of decades now, so it probably was, unless someone got away with a JimBob and JoeLarry build on a waterfront property, which doesn't seem all that likely. You can get away with that where I'm at (in the woods), but on waterfront, not so much.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.