3500 migrants a year drowning in the Med is unacceptable. It's action time!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Stephen Ditmore, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

The New York area is already pluralist and multicultural. A few more Syrians would not change anything. The governors of New York and Connecticut have said they would welcome refugees. Here and here are Justin Trudeau on why we embrace diversity.

2. myark

myark Senior Member

With the refugees one needs to place them self's in their shoes such as do you have a right to not be murdered and to seek safety at any means including a desperate escape to another country.
    Its easy to say negative comments and suggestions like sinking their life saving boats if you have never suffered such trauma and fear while living in a luxury sheltered life.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

When they come to cut your neck don't act surprised.

4. myark

myark Senior Member

Maybe you should worry more about all the nukes that Russia and China have aimed at your back yard ready to launch at a moments notice than refugee women and children in desperate need of humanity.

5. Stephen Ditmore

I know plenty of Arab-Americans; they're not scary people. Have some baklava & get over it.

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Not necessarily true. The smugglers use one particular type of inflatable to transport their human cargo. The "mechanical shark" can easily distinguish that from recreational boats and is of course harmless to rib's and planing craft.

But much more important is the fear it will cause. A news item announcing the use of this weapon and a few youtube clips could already turn the sentiments.
    According to my information the supply line for these inflatables originates in Greece. One wholesaler said in a recent TV interview business slackened because of the season, but he still sold 10-12 boats each week! It would not surprise me if used boats were collected from the shores to find their way back to Turkey for the next transport. Yet I hear nothing about border patrol cutting up inflatables on the coast of Greece.

7. Stephen Ditmore

My information about the inflatables being used can be found at post #3. I doubt they're being returned from Greece, but I do think there's someone making these boats in China. If cooperation from Turkey is not to be had, it does seem like following the money could lead to suppliers outside of Turkey.

Having said that, if boats (not these boats, but seaworthy ones) were returned, larger, safer boats could be justified economically, and there'd be less need to overload them.

8. myark

myark Senior Member

"But much more important is the fear it will cause."

Its easy to say negative comments and suggestions like sinking their life saving boats if you have never suffered such trauma and fear while living in a luxury sheltered life.

9. Stephen Ditmore

Hey M, if you're in Thailand, the situation closer to you is the one originating in Burma. MOAS is there now - here's their webpage: https://www.moas.eu/andaman-sea/. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what can be done. Since that's a different situation, should we start a new thread?

10. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Many people say they want to help migrants/invaders but in reality they have an agenda to capatilize on the plight of others in some way and make a few bucks in the process.
    And perhaps convert them to their Religous pracrtices so they can control them.

You can not help people they first have to help them selves by making a few changes to their lives and the way they think and behave and what they believe in.

11. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

I think it is time for some brutal honesty.

Dear mister Ditmore:
    Helping refugees is not like your dayjob. You do not have any control or authority over anything. Your word means nothing to the relevant authorities. You are not the police, army, navy, coast guard or migrants. You can not force anyone to do what you say. If you try to impose your ideas by force it constitutes a felony. Like it or not this is reality. There is no company executive or FAA to make your word the law.
    What you are left with is preaching small boat safety standards to the migrants or actually rescuing migrants from overladen boats. For preaching safety you need to speak arabic and be there on the ground to talk to people. For rescuing you need to be out in a boat in the relevant area. If you do not do either you still have the option of supporting those who do this by raising money or otherwise.
    Those are your options. Any discussion about defining the problem, fake life jakets, unsafe one chamber inflatables and so on is not relevant. Imagine that you find the solution to a safety problem for an aircraft flying in a foreign country. But you are not there, the plane is not yours, there is no FAA to report to, and the involved operator and passengers do not care. That is a compareble situation. You can not stop the manufacture and use of unsafe boats or lifejackets. You can use them as arguments for raising funds or determine somebody to act. Fundraising and lobbying are the two actions you can take from your home. If you believe the migrants to be digitally active you can try preaching safety via internet. You must still do this in arabic.

Dear mister CDK:
    What you propose has a time honoured name: piracy. As I remember it is illegal. If anyone dies it is also capital murder or mass murder.

12. Westel

Westel Senior Member

I agree, stupîd USA has no nukes aimed at Russian and China's backyards and Pakistan probably has aimed his nukes to themselves. Israel is aiming his nukes in a 360° range and France and the UK probably have aimed them at each other.

The "woman and children in desperate need" SHOULD be helped but......they are only a small percentage of the "refugee problem". Most of the refugees are healthy young men .......

It weren't the "woman and children" refugees who upset the German public about what happened in Cologne on New Year's eve........

The comming carnaval in Cologne will have a ....safe zone for woman. What the f#ck is going on ?

You cant keep sticking your head in the sand and refuse to see the problem by waving the white flag of "desperate woman and children" cause it will backfire on you BIG time.

13. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The definition of piracy doesn't include puncturing inflatables near the (departure) beach to prevent people drowning at sea. And legal implications depend on who takes responsibility; killing a person can be murder, collateral damage, duty or an heroic act worth a medal.

14. myark

myark Senior Member

Puncturing some ones life saving boat if they are fleeing for their life's would be no better than the predators hunting them, especially if the puncturing act cost a family their life's by cutting of the only escape route.
    Refugees are the future as in climate change when lands die and can not produce food causing famine and civil war or seas rising with millions relocating, or at any day a nuclear war that is inevitable.

15. myark

myark Senior Member

I had a vision by inventing ideas that could make lots of $ and use that money to help suffering women and children, manly starvation but time is catching up on me and getting old, but not giving up to at least prepare my children for the bleak future they have to bare because of our greed.
    The best way I believe humans can save them self's from future self destruction is stop killing and eating animals then they can start treating each other with consideration including the planet, you never know we may even figure it out to get rid of all the nuclear war heads before the war heads get rid of us and spend the billions to make war heads on peace.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.