3500 migrants a year drowning in the Med is unacceptable. It's action time!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Stephen Ditmore, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I wish it were that easy with drug dealers. Now with prescription opioids, drug companies and doctors are getting in on it.

The problem with violence against anyone is that there won't be any positive change until someone comes up with a better way forward. Blame doesn't accomplish much - fight an idea with a better idea.

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

3500 migrants a year drowning in the med is unacceptable

If Politics, Culture, and Religion, or any other subject can not be discussed openly with out people getting upset there is little hope for future generations.

3. Stephen Ditmore

What if the Greek and Turkish Coast Guards, along with private rescue NGOs, were to agree that those rescued from non-overloaded boats will be landed in Greece, while those rescued from overloaded boats will be returned directly to the presumed nation of origin (Turkey in the situation under discussion)? This might both encourage limiting the number of passengers per boat and reduce the overall number of crossings.

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

How, precisely, does this address the twin issues of:

1. Too many of those 'refugees' are actually economic migrants, have no valid claims and aren't going to take the slightest notice of your rules

and

2. Too many of *those* exhibit behaviours that we simply don't want in our societies?

To be crystal clear: I have no problems with migrants provided they realise that their choice to relocate means *they* have to change *their* mores, assumptions and cultural mindset to comply with their host society, not the other way around. So if they come from a culture where women are chattels, STAY THERE or change. I'm not changing my tolerance levels and I don't expect my daughters to have to change their behaviours either.

I still say that air-dropping them back where they came from with an AK47 and a box of ammo would solve the problem. Let them kill each other off until they actually get tired of it and make a civil society that works.

The 1951 Refugee treaty is dead, designed for a time that has passed, and the sooner everyone withdraws from it the better.

Your heart might be in the right place but frankly what you're proposing is to put a very small band-aid on a gangrenous limb. It might make you feel good, but it's futile.

PDW

5. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Stephen, you are too nice and nice people don't resolve problems like this. Overloaded and non-overloaded boats.... come on..... :p

Wait til a few people smugglers don't come home for lunch. The word would get around quite quickly that that line of business is now 'closed'. The refugees come because they know they can find a boat, what if the message filters back up the line the boats have stopped. The solutions are there, they just don't involve NGO's or hand wringing.

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

They can get their own dates.... :p

7. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

So why is thread on boat design.net. shouldn't it be on a political forum or do you still want to design a boat for smugglers.

8. whitepointer23

Great post squid.

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Smugglers are an historic and important niche for boat design and construction.

Also, maybe it's just me but why is it that people smuggling booze, tobacco products, bootleg DVDs and just about anything else, anything but people, seem to actually care if the boat gets to its destination?

Likewise, why is it governments, or at least the US government, sometimes seems so much better at interdicting people trying to get around paying taxes on smuggled goods than they are people trying to sneak in?

Here's a thought: a hefty tax on smuggled persons to be paid by the smuggler. Might motivate governments to go after them because they actually care about collecting taxes....

10. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

Those smuggling people get paid before departure. There's no additional payoff for delivery.

11. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Yeah, I kinda figured that would be it.

The lesson people need to learn is never pay in full till the work is done in a satisfactory way. Doesn't matter if it's your plumber or what.

Well, unless you're the US Airforce and then (historically) you fly then fix....

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Talking about designs for life threatening situations where one has no choice to stay and die or take their chance fleeing by an ocean crossing, is a good topic that can be raised in this thread for ideas about lowering the 3500 deaths at sea and also to allow less deaths from executions such as beheadings and firing squads .
    I have designed a affordable light towable water craft for such an event as you need a wide width to be stable in a storm that has sealed hulls so the craft can not sink that is loaded in the hatched sealed hulls with food and water, fuel for a 10hp out board motor with alternative sail as well as solar power electric out board and as with cell phone satellite guiding system to keep on course for unexperienced sailors.

The craft needs to be able to support a small second hand towing vehicle for shelter and comfort also when landed on shore the folding pontoon in a self trailer form can be towed by vehicle especially for land hopping or travel across and down rivers and lakes.

I have smaller folding pontoon models that float safely 3000 kg that can stow 8 in a 12.m container that can be latched together so when crossing the ocean in groups is a large platform, then when reach land they can unlatch and each go their individual ways for a chance to experience freedom with still means of travel and accommodation as the pontoons have a tent placed on top of the deck.

The main benefit is people smugglers do not profit from people fleeing for their lives who still own the items to carry on survival such as land seas river and lake travel and accommodation.

Myark foldng trailer pontoons are much much more stable than half safe.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-...lf-safe-amphibious-vehicle-adventure-/6563962
    School remembers Perth adventurer who circumnavigated globe in Half Safe, World War II amphibious jeep

Attached Files:

13. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Maybe you should advertise on PeopleSmuggler.com

14. whitepointer23

Where is he going to build the myark barges when the end of the world nukes go off. I imagine electricity might be hard to come by and no internet for self promotion.

15. Stephen Ditmore

What are "my rules"? What I thought I was suggesting is something you might agree with. It's my understanding that when the Greek Coast Guard or NGOs lIke MOAS rescue migrants at sea, that they land them in Greece. Unless the Turkish government prohibits it, wouldn't it be possible to land them back in Turkey? Now there are pros and cons, but I'm suggesting that would give the Greek authorizes an opportunity to enforce some safety standards. Arrive in a safe, nonoverloaded craft, we'll process your asylum application. We find you drowning at sea because you're one of 20 people on a 20 foot boat, we return you to Turkey directly. Wouldn't such a policy be a small step in the right direction from both your point of view and mine if we both accept that neither of us is going to entirely solve all the world's problems?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.