21 ft Wharram catamaran - crosses Tasman by accident

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by rwatson, Jan 11, 2017.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

There seems more to this story than might meet the eye. The child is the subject of a custody dispute, and a child recovery "contractor" hired by the mother seems to have anticipated the trans-Tasman trip, circulating posters at various ports along that coast. It was a member of the public that alerted authorities, and it is reported they may have made landfall several days ago. Too bad $100k was spent in aerial searches near NZ.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Wow - desperate times to take a child across some of the worst waters in the world to escape the law.

4. Mr Efficiency

I would say this jaunt will do his court custody case not one bit of good.

5. JasonCatt

JasonCatt Junior Member

His story seems a little unlikely to me - although he did say that he checked in with the police on arrival.

6. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Sad the laws are so rigged in the mothers favor that a father would have to resort to this to see his child.

7. tane

tane Senior Member

...yes, a sensible, responsible parent....he should be locked up & the key thrown away!

8. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Not condoning his actions, just pointing out that this sort of thing is inevitable thanks to a court system that fails fathers. We need to fix the system to prevent these dangerous acts of desperation.

9. tane

tane Senior Member

this is ridiculous, DennisRB: t
    1. this would condone any action of a perpetrator, because "he was forced to"
    2. for every father wronged by a divorce & the associated custody arrangements there have to be 100.000 women wronged by fathers not doing/paying their share

10. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I disagree with your feminist view point as do the statistics. This is getting off topic. I made my point, and don't wish to pollute this forum with the topic any further so will no longer reply regarding it.

11. tane

tane Senior Member

dont look at the last 20 years, DRB, look at the last 300...

12. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 New Member

Off Topic:

Tane,

Letting the court system compensate for past wrongs in the way the court system does is just bad practice. and in the USA is borderline unconstitutional. It is better to just make the system better in the present than to try and have the court system make wrongs for making up for past wrongs. I am a victim of the court system abuse. and a work colleague is about to have to pay $50K in back child support while HE had the children and full custody. When the system is that broken you are actually backing felony action(s) of women and the court system. Please refrain from assuming that women are always the victims. At this point the men are just as much the victims as women are, because the laws have given women the power to abuse it.

I could go on and on about this subject. one reason that I come there for a creative outlet and not a few other sites.

Chris
    and yes, I am bitter about this subject.

13. tane

tane Senior Member

I'm not saying that the present system is perfect (in fact I have to admit: I know zero abt the US-custody/alimony-system & not all that much abt our-austrian-system). in the recent past the "father-whining" in the media has increased sharply here & the one thing I am pretty sure abt & most people will agree: for every wronged father (prevented from contact with his kids by a vindictive ex-wife, having to pay way too much, etc.) there are 10 or more women trying to make ends meet because the fathers do not want to pay up, I definitely am no "bleeding heart" for the "single mothers" (since time immemorial women had to select the men that were to father their kids carefully, neglecting to do so at their own peril), but the hullabaloo in the media seems overblown to me & most of these "wronged" fathers seem to have discovered their emotional attachments to their kids only upon divorce...
    but then, who am I to say, happily together with my lady since 38 years, the "little feller" now being 26...just musing...

14. Mr Efficiency

Leaving aside the problems of divided families, taking any child into a dangerous situation like this, would need a very good lawyer to justify. Proving it was a deliberate act might not be so easy though.

15. cookiesa

cookiesa Senior Member

Not a Warram fan but I find the "dangerous, irresponsible" etc comments more offensive than the vague references to alleged custody dispute details....

These vessels have repeatedly crossed oceans quite safely, indeed this is yet another voyage that was completed safely... lets not feed mainstream bias or misreporting because in some people's eyes a boat needs to be 60ft to be seaworthy... (doesn't seem that long ago 42ft was the "standard")

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.