2-strokes illegal in 2007?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by blared, Oct 2, 2006.

1. blared

blared ALFA

I read it in a magazine that the 2 stroke outborads will be illegal in 2007 is that true?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

As far as I know, two-strokes have not, and will not, be banned. What is happening, is that newly built engines will have to meet much stricter emissions requirements than in the past. Among the new standards (which aren't all that new, they've been publically available for years), unburned hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, and other pollutants must be greatly reduced. It is very difficult to get a traditional two-stroke to run clean enough to meet the new regs, and so some manufacturers may simply give up on these older motors. But I'm pretty sure you won't be forced to throw out your existing engines.

3. blared

blared ALFA

I did some search and i found out that it's only going to be illegal for dealers to sell them.. :)

4. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Interesting question. Imagine your local congressman thinking about all the angry guys with chain saws marching on DC.

I am the not too proud owner of an '89 Evinrude 225 for about a week, now. Its attached to a custom center console I wanted for those strictly fishing trips when I didn't wan't to take the floating condo out. I launched today, and it smoked like Cheech and Chong, and heated up so quick I had to shut 'er down and borrow a manual from a friend. My brother was busting my chops that it will be illegal in a year, anyway, might as well get a new engine. I'm alright around an inboard diesel, but this is clearly another animal all together. Yikes.

Wish I could afford a new 4 stroke right about now! I'll have a go at her, and probably will be alright around an evinrude in a month or so.

Mike

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Guess this is only the good old US of A, ain't heard of it elsewhere (and more to the point could you control it?) Will it only cover marine engines or does it cover the lot - phew that would be fun - like trying to stop an ayatollah in full rant! Only one way to do that (it's a good way!!)

6. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

What is all the fuss about two strokes being more liable to be less clean running than four strokes?Wet sump diesel two strokes have been around a long time (did great service in war machines) and are no worse than wet sump four strokes,and are lighter and very efficient.The four stroke outboards available now are not very impressive,and are a lot heavier than two strokes,try lifting a modern four stroke 15 HP some time, the easy portability has now gone.Probably we will see an about face to efficient two strokes using much of the new technology now available.They would be great in autos,especialy with Alcohol and Hydrogen, Gas, type fuels.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I have checked the EPA's and CARB's web site and this is simply not true. The EPA and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) have set emission standards for outboard (and the inboards are a coming) that are very difficult to meet. But every time this has happend the industry has come out with new 2 strokes that meet the standards. In fact there are some 2 strokes on the market that already meet the 2007 standards.

What you're see is the result of rumors that have developed because of efforts in California by certain factions to outlaw 2 strokes. They have been consistently defeated. Some local jurisdictions in California have passed ordinances banning 2 strokes but as far as I know all of those have been overturned.

8. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Evinrude is johnny on the spot. Check out their emissions rating. Exactly the same as a competetive 4 stroke...

9. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

somethings up..why all of the sudden all these 4 strokes coming out?,,,,,,,,they have had the tecknology for 40 years.

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Sounds right to me. I did a lot of Google searching so that I would have something to contribute, and most of the articles I found dealt with California law. I did not post what I found because it inconclusive or overwhelming.

11. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

I own a stroker for my dinghy as I could not afford a 4 stroke. I did note in the spec sheets (in the smaller motors at least) that there is very little weight difference between the 2 and 4's. In some cases little over 1 kilo.
    I wonder if any 2 stroke no matter how sophisticated could ever match a 4 in quietness and smoothness.

Mychael

12. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

No problem! just turn it off, use as a fishing weight and row! it'll do wonders for your health (I'm now permanently knackered):p

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Longliner said
    Because some companies such as Honda, saw 4 stroke as the easiest and cheapest way to go. They can easily adapt the technology from their cars to 4 stroke outboards. However, others such as Mercury, didn't see it that way. Since they have billions invested in 2 stroke technology they decided to stick with two stroke. What some companies did was buy existing patent rights. That's what OMC did and it wasn't very good.

14. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

This makes it sound as though the emissions problem with two-stroke, crankcase scvenged type engines is that they mix oil with fuel. That is abosolutely not true. The problem stems from incomplete purging of the spent charge and susequnet contamination of the fresh charge. In short, they don't burn the charge completely/cleanly.

The 'valve uniflow' type ingine used widely by Detroit Deisel and others does not have this problem (as long as RPM are kept low,<3000), but is a far more complex and costly engine with a mandatory roots or other positive displacement air pump to savenge the cylinders.

With the very lean fuel oil ratios of today's synthetic two-stroke lubes, the oil in the fuel is barely noticable. Quite a few lawn service guys use the new 100:1 oil. Additionally, to avoid the possibility that a careless worker might put 'dry gas' in one of their two-stroke machines, they put the 100:1 oil in ALL the gas and run it in EVERYTHING, including the four strokes. Makes no difference. The spark plugs do not foul in the four strokes, nor do they visibly make any more smoke than with pure gasoline.

I noticed this years ago when I was running Bel-Ray MC-1 @ 64:1 in my Maico 490 dirt bike. A friend had a Honda XR500, and numerous times we ran my gas in his bike with no discernable difference in performance or emissions output (smoke ;) ) And that at a mere 64:1.

Jimbo

1 person likes this.

15. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

One of the first 4 stroke outboards sold in New Zealand was a Chrysler Hillman Imp motor (55HP) stood on its`s end.There were not many sold.The reason for adding lubricating oil to two stroke fuel is to lubricate the motor it does not burn but finishes up all over the place and even drips out the muffler.A wet sump motor uses the lubricating oil more efficiently,even a two stroke wet sump motor.Use fuel injection,air injection,wet sump,two stroke,makes a good clean motor,and then add Alcohol type fuels (or Hydrogen) for more improvements.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.